Goldstar TST-135???!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirecatsmile

Reaction score
http://www.apionet.or.jp/~koiz/

Ebay user Koiz has a photo of a guitar on his site that is labeled as a Tokai ST-135 ! It's about 23 guitars down on the above link. It's a script logo Goldstar, so technically that would make it a TST-135, if there is such a thing! The photo has a gold sunburst super-flamed body (looks 2 piece--not sure it's either sen or alder...) and a maple neck.

I remember about a year ago there was a sale on ebay with a seller advertising a TST-100, which was likely disproved as being such just before it was sold--the link is on here somewhere if anyone cares to look. At the time, I remember some forum members who should know saying there were no models above TST-80.

I know this seller has a history with some other forum members...just wondering if this guitar could possibly be real? :eek:

Edit:
It's described as a custom order, light ash. Here is a link to photos:

http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/koizguitar/1980MidTokaiST135LightWeightAshCustomOrder#
________
IFA ADVICE

Well if Koiz says that's what it is, can there be any doubt? :eek:

1980? Surely late 1983 is the earliest possible date for a script logo Goldstar? FINAL PROSPEC saddles also point to a much later date than 1980. Well, if he's wrong about the date, he could be wrong about the model number too.....

Mike

That's a language thing, I think. It's mid 80s, (1980Mid). He has sent me a couple of photos--there is a stamp inside a PU cavity that does say ST-135. It's not the normal Tokai 6=11 kind of thing, but it might look a bit like the stamp on my Custom Love Rock--I'd have to check to make sure. The pickups look like black-backed Dimarzios (VS-3??--can't quite see...), with a very non-Tokai looking pu plate and electronics (switch is wrong/replaced, and no brass ground harness). He says it's a V-neck, nitro finish.

IMG_8877.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

If it's genuine Tokai then it's a super rare guitar! Even if it's not a Tokai body, it's still pretty nice looking--just not collectable.
________
Essential vaaapp vaporizer

Isn't that ST 135 stamp the sort of thing Fender Japan use? And don't they have an ST 115 model?

That switch is a very nasty looking cheap plastic thing. :-?

Are the pics from Koiz' guitar?
If so, the body is not a Tokai one. The routings are not Tokais ones.
Even the neck doesn't fit 100% the neck pocket of the body.
Probably the Goldstar neck and the Final Prospec stamped saddles are the only original Tokai parts of the axe.
Strange...

Looks like a Fender Japan body to me too, and as Togps points out the neck and the body definetely started out on different guitars.

Latest posts

Back