Gold Strike! Another ST-100 and this one is a museum piece.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcusnieman said:
Holy Grail material, that one...

You mean it reminds you of Mary Magdalene? :eek:

I love these translations:

Sigh I get everything from red carpet in a building

Well, who doesn't? :-?

Most likely a bad guitar.
Mint cond guitars that are a a bit older are in general ******.

There is a big risk that the neck is fixed in on position and no matter how hard one turns the truss it won't help (I experienced this too many times with old Japanese Strats in mint cond).

A couple of years ago I tried a 54 Strat in this condition and it was one of the most crappy and tone dead Strats I ever played but still worth a fortune :D

My guess is that this Tokai is for the wall and not for playing.

But cool to see one that is in such a condition!

Koubayashi said:

There is a big risk that the neck is fixed in on position and no matter how hard one turns the truss it won't help (I experienced this too many times with old Japanese Strats in mint cond).

A couple of years ago I tried a 54 Strat in this condition and it was one of the most crappy and tone dead Strats I ever played but still worth a fortune :D

lol mr negative returns...

villager said:
Koubayashi said:

lol mr negative returns...

Not negative. Its a cool guitar and an awsome piece for the wall.
Well, it might be a good player as well BUT my experience of untounched guitars is that they are in general not very good. Actually, the more played the better, especially when it comes to Fender's models.

But I wouldn't mind having this on the wall instead of a painting, both better looking and cheaper.

''most likely a bad guitar''

you actually have no idea what its like!!

so yes negative in the sense of the guitar,

great for hanging on a wall is not what i would consider to be a good recommendation for a guitar, but then as you have not played it, your just shitting in the wind, heh....

I find it very funny that you would comment so strongly in such a negative way about this.. maybe you want to keep the price low to buy it yourself?? :evil:

crazy way to judge things, if its in good condition it must be ****!! lol, maybe its had a careful owner, as you know this is the norm with japanese, not the exception...

villager said:
''most likely a bad guitar''

you actually have no idea what its like!!

so yes negative in the sense of the guitar,

great for hanging on a wall is not what i would consider to be a good recommendation for a guitar, but then as you have not played it, your just shitting in the wind, heh....

I find it very funny that you would comment so strongly in such a negative way about this.. maybe you want to keep the price low to buy it yourself?? :evil:

crazy way to judge things, if its in good condition it must be ^&*(!! lol, maybe its had a careful owner, as you know this is the norm with japanese, not the exception...

If you read carefully you would notice that I wrote the same about Fender! But of course, that doesn't add to your statement.

I have bought enough fucked up mint condition Fender and Japanese copies to stay away from this. And besides, I am not buying Japanese stuff now when vintage guitars are long time low now.

If this was an old Fender it would sell at a very high price and never be played. Mint guitars with collectors value seldom get played.

I'm kind of with Koubayashi on this ST-100, but for two reasons:

It is mint so you will pay a big premium for that, and it could still be a tone turd, therefore, to me, a worn looking ST-100 or ST-80 for less money is what I'd prefer. The notion that good sounding guitars get played a lot and thus have more wear does have some validity to it. I'm even happy to have a re-fretted guitar.

Of course for the person who MUST have a mint ST-100 (maybe a collector) this is the one to go for.

This discussion just highlights again, the problem of having to buy off the web sight unseen - everybody has their processes or reasons to eliminate this or that guitar from consideration.

That was my bid, too.
As high as that seems, it still is cheaper than most US reissues and some top end Fender Japan stuff here.
I guess it is turning into a buyers market here but Japan just doesn't know it yet.

wulfman said:
That was my bid, too.
As high as that seems, it still is cheaper than most US reissues and some top end Fender Japan stuff here.
I guess it is turning into a buyers market here but Japan just doesn't know it yet.

A Fender is a Fender. No matter what, they will always be more attractive to the majority.

This particular Tokai raises my curiosity. How did it survive the Japanese humidity.
I have a JV Telecaster that spent app 25 years in the original box in the attic out in Chiba. Still it had signs of age, the chrome was dull.

I have just a small bit of experience so far with buying Japanese guitars and already I have seen an example of a Greco Super Power Custom from 1980 with gold hardware that had basically no signs of ageing at all. Could it be that the gold coating that doesn't react like the standard nickel/chrome?
That might be the case with this Tokai as well.

Back