Gibson's offices raided

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudu

Reaction score
"While no charges have yet been filed, NashvillePost.com is reporting that earlier today, Federal agents and local police seized wood, guitars, computers and files from Gibson Guitar's Massman Road manufacturing facility in Nashville.

Sources say the guitar manufacturer is being investigated for violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Rosewood is widely used in the construction of guitars and sells for $5,000 per cubic meter, more than double the price of mahogany. The island nation off Africa's east coast is a key producer of the hardwood, the export of which has links to international criminal activity.

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

Sources have told NashvillePost.com that Gibson was involved in a scheme that shipped the wood from Madagascar to Germany and then to the United States."

http://www.mmrmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=E46268AC30FA41B5BDA74609F0FFA761

That's gonna look good on a piece of case candy packed with a new Pearly Gates..

On a more serious note, it does raise potential issues regarding exporting/importing historic pieces crafted with wood legal at the time of manufacture, but now questionable. Like the problems caused by eagle feathers and carved tusks in the 70's and 80's. (i'm thinking walrus species, not elephant..)

Gibson isn't a concern to me; they are just another example of American corporate greed gone wild

one only need look at the crap they pawn off, and at outrageous prices ...........

Back