Getting my guitar intonated... :ohgodwhy:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolguy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've always been very happy with my LS150.
Recently, I've switched from using .10-.46 Ernie Ball strings to .10-.52 gauge.

This change however, has messed up my intonation.

The problem now is: I can't move the saddle on the E string far enough towards the neck so the intonation is set correctly.

The result is a very noticeable 'oh gods it sounds so out of tune'-sound whenever I'm playing anything with the 6th string in it.
Flipping the saddle also didn't give me enough space to properly intonate.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

You need to get a "harmonica style" with bigger amount of saddle adjustment room:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/GB-0510-010.jpg

You can find those in Ebay.

Matti

Sorry, my two cents here but there is no possible way that such a slight change could botch up your intonation that bad.....

You might want to check the slot in your nut - it may well not be cut for the wider guage..... if the string is sitting high in the groove, certainly when you fret the string, it'll have a tendency to go sharp because of the extra height at the nut. Check that first before you go to a Nashville bridge.

marcusnieman said:
Sorry, my two cents here but there is no possible way that such a slight change could botch up your intonation that bad.....

You might want to check the slot in your nut - it may well not be cut for the wider guage..... if the string is sitting high in the groove, certainly when you fret the string, it'll have a tendency to go sharp because of the extra height at the nut. Check that first before you go to a Nashville bridge.

Excellent advice. To which the corollary is: Make sure you want .052 gauge before you widen the slot, if that is in fact the issue. As Thomas Wolfe said, "You can never go home.."

Latest posts

Back