Fresher Les Paul - Infos needed!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fresher Les Paul-Model - Need all available informations

• Fresher Les Paul-models are underrated Guitars

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Fresher Les Pauls are average MIJ-Guitars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yesterday I received the following photographs. They?re showing the next step of procedure of the 'new inlays for the FRESHER Les Paul'-photo-documentary.

The next necessary step was enlarging of the too tight inlay-carvings. So the historic correct Inlays will fit perfectly:

02_fresher_001.jpg

In the following 4 pics you can see how meticulous the new material fits in it?s new 'home'. Awesome job, Big Ed!

02_fresher_003.jpg

02_fresher_004.jpg

02_fresher_005.jpg

02_fresher_002.jpg

Masking-tape will protect the frets from persistant glue-remnants:

02_fresher_006.jpg

Big Ed uses a 2-component-glue to paste the celulloid-pieces in their new housing. Some abrasion from dark wood (ebony or rosewood), mixed with the glue, will make the hardened adhesive indiscernible:

02_fresher_007.jpg

A new inlay in it?s new place:

02_fresher_008.jpg

The larger inlays are tape-fixed to keep them in the right installation depht:

02_fresher_009.jpg

Drying time: 12 hours!

I?d like to thank Big Ed for an excellent piece of workmanship. It will take some further steps to finish this documentary. The next images are coming soon... ...STAY TUNED!

All the best,
Ralf

These are great photos - very much enjoying seeing the work step by step!

And yeah, the inlays are a big improvement as well. :D

The glue is dryed out now, so the new inlays can be levelled. During this process the glue-overflow disappeares simultaneously:

03_fresher_001.jpg

The inlays are levelled now. The next step is: Refreshing the frets! First they need to be coloured black with a felt-marker, then the edges need to be blunted.

03_fresher_002.jpg

03_fresher_003.jpg

The neck must be adjusted 100% straight!

03_fresher_004.jpg

Then the frets are grinded ?till there?s nothin? left of the black felt-marker:

03_fresher_005.jpg

03_fresher_006.jpg

03_fresher_007.jpg

03_fresher_008.jpg

After the frets are levelled they need to be blackened again. The frets are goin?to be crowned equally now ?till a very small black line on top of each fret remains.

03_fresher_009.jpg

03_fresher_010.jpg

Now the frets are overhauled, crowned and fine-sanded. At last the bone-nut needs some work and the fretboard will be cleaned and polished.

Keep on watching!

See ya,
Ralf

Very cool - thanks for sharing this. Is it me, or do those frets look absolutely massive?

Cheers.

RyanC said:
Very cool - thanks for sharing this. Is it me, or do those frets look absolutely massive?

Cheers.

THANX, RyanC!

I think the flashlight lets them look massive. The frets are medium-jumbos. Not shure about the exact dimensions.

All the best,
Ralf

NEW PICS ARRIVED!

A photomontage shows the difference:

BEFORE - the roughly filed off bone-nut

AFTER - the fine-sanded and polished nut. Ready to get stringed:

03_fresher_011.jpg

In the upcoming 4 images Big Ed photographed the fine-sanded, cleaned and oiled fretboard.
HE DID AN AWESOME JOB!! I LOVE IT!

03_fresher_012.jpg

03_fresher_013.jpg

03_fresher_014.jpg

03_fresher_015.jpg

Some final shots will be done in better lighting conditions. The pics of the 'finished product' will come soon. Please stay forebearing (as you are).

Bye for now,
Ralf

RyanC said:

Cheers.
The frets of old Tokais or Grecos have a width of 2.8 mm.
The frets of the Fresher 2.58 mm. Already when working on it noticed to me that they are somewhat thinner than with the guitars specified before.
Gibson frets have normally a width of 2.54 mm.
The pictures are deceptive due to the dark fretboard and the shining federal staffs.

Big Ed said:
RyanC said:

Cheers.
The frets of old Tokais or Grecos have a width of 2.8 mm.
The frets of the Fresher 2.58 mm. Already when working on it noticed to me that they are somewhat thinner than with the guitars specified before.
Gibson frets have normally a width of 2.54 mm.
The pictures are deceptive due to the dark fretboard and the shining federal staffs.

HI BIG ED!

THANX-a-LOT for your detailed information!!

All the best!
Ralf

Here they are! The first pics of the finished inlay-replacing!

The fretboard is fine-sanded, cleaned and polished now. The guitar is stringed, adjusted and set up for 10-gauge strings. A really, really "BIG" T H A N K Y O U, Big Ed ! ! ! :D :D :D :D :D You did a really awesome inlay- & fret-job !! I?m shure, I?ll LOVE it!

Please watch this:

04_fresher_001.jpg

04_fresher_002.jpg

04_fresher_003.jpg

04_fresher_004.jpg

04_fresher_005.jpg

THANX again, Big Ed! You did 2(!) awesome jobs: The changing of the inlays and a great photo-dokumentary!!

I hope you had some fun! THANX for watching this thread!!

Bye,
Ralf

:cry: SORRY, I UPLOADED TOO MANY IMAGES ON PHOTOBUCKET THIS MONTH SO ALL MY PHOTOS ARE DISABLED UNTIL 11.15.2009!! :(

This is the original e-mail I received from Photobucket:

Attention mojoburst

You have exceeded the 10 GB monthly bandwidth limit on your free
Photobucket account. As such, your image and video links have been
temporarily disabled. Your images and videos have not been deleted but
will be reactivated on the 14th of the month, when your bandwidth
usage resets to zero.

:p THE IMAGES ARE REACTIVATED !!! :p So the full thread is finally completely illustrated again. SORRY for the interruption!

Best regards,
Ralf :D

A nice lookin? FRESHER Leo Nine LP std. plaintop is in the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Rare-Fresher-Leo-Line-LP-clone-MIJ_W0QQitemZ260530076877QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ca8cd7ccd

That?s a rare bird, folks!

To compare the flamed FL-800 maple-veneer top-version to a solid plain-top check out this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22552280@N02/sets/72157623109199199/
A great lookin? classic!

I found a great YouTube-clip showing an ultra-rare FRESHER Les Paul Goldtop with P-90 PU?s! Awesome TONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPane1nl50

Latest posts

Back