Flamed vs. Quilted. What is your favoured finish?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they are not photo tops. They are maple caps with real wood veneers used for the flame effect, just like the Japanese ones do. Only the higher end Japanese ones have solid flame maple caps.

JSD said:
No they are not photo tops. They are maple caps with real wood veneers used for the flame effect, just like the Japanese ones do. Only the higher end Japanese ones have solid flame maple caps.

can ya show me a pic of the horn on a krean tokai that shows the maple cap under the binding????

cuz everythin i have read about korean love rocks are that they are photo flames with mahogany or alder backs... just like korean epis

Not everything you read on the net is correct. Shoot me an e-mail if you want info and pics.

I guess it depends upon the nature of the quilting. Some quilted top's look absolutely stunning, some just look naff. IMO.

I really like an understated flame (like that on my blue LS70F), but a plain top is also a wonderful thing as well. Wonderful I hear you ask? Yeah, if you look beyond the guitar's cosmetics, you can get your hands on a great, value for money guitar that you'll keep and it won't cost you a fortune! I've recently got an early LS60 (inked serial #) with a really plain top, is quite light, plays superbly, sounds great (I have changed the pickups to a set of Bare Knuckle Emerald's), and it didn't cost me a lot of money.

Skybone said:
I guess it depends upon the nature of the quilting. Some quilted top's look absolutely stunning, some just look naff. IMO.

I really like an understated flame (like that on my blue LS70F), but a plain top is also a wonderful thing as well. Wonderful I hear you ask? Yeah, if you look beyond the guitar's cosmetics, you can get your hands on a great, value for money guitar that you'll keep and it won't cost you a fortune! I've recently got an early LS60 (inked serial #) with a really plain top, is quite light, plays superbly, sounds great (I have changed the pickups to a set of Bare Knuckle Emerald's), and it didn't cost me a lot of money.

Good catch mate ;) btw bareknuckles are driving me crazy...i cant seem to decide which ones...

yo.... JSD check out the tokai UK website here http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm

right when u go into the love rock section all the top row are jap tokais.. and the second row of love rocks are jap.... for the als 50 it says that it has a gravure print quilt top that tells me thats a photo not real wood i could be wrong mate.... but yeah it says that they do have maple tops but alder backs not mahogany i guess this is how they are a lot cheaper than their japanese counterparts..... but i also think that some of them may sound ok the pic u posted looked nice.... but all the korean ones i have tried out have sopunded like s**t!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back