Fender Reds....Anyone else use 'em?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electric chair

Reaction score
Hello:

I just wondered what your opinions are on these amps? I used them for years and they've NEVER let me down, have lovely tone and are as reliable as a Honda engine.

l_b642b91c44b10f59be6926424d856b7f.jpg

Are they the 80s models? Designed by Rivera? I'm interested in them, but I've never tried one.

Mike

I tried a Champ12 some time ago and altough not a bad amp I did not like it 100%,I prefer my Mission Amps 5e3 clone far more.

marcusnieman said:
Solid state?

I'm sure some of them are solid state, but the one I had, cant remember the model (super 60????), was 100% valve. Apparently as Statman says designed by Paul Rivera.

Ah yes, you've reminded me, I nearly bought a Super 60 combo on eBay a few months back, & I think you (John) and other people said it might not have the sort of retro Fender sound I tend to like. Higher gain than usual for Fenders? More of a rock amp?

JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
Solid state?

I'm sure some of them are solid state, but the one I had, cant remember the model (super 60????), was 100% valve. Apparently as Statman says designed by Paul Rivera.

Don't know about the amps but I like that little Les Paul Junior in front of them. :wink:

stratman323 said:
Are they the 80s models? Designed by Rivera? I'm interested in them, but I've never tried one.

Mike
Meh Rivera...overated IMO

Yeah, they're SS amps...I'm unsure they even made a valve amp during that period, apart from the Twin...possibly very wrong there, but I don't recall them doing so...these are from 1983, the Stage is a 1x12, 150W Monster, the Pr is it's big Bro...also 150W, but a twin engine version [2 x12] and what a different sound it has, much more bottom end...
Yeah, I play, and played back then in a loud guitar band, so these were perfect for the gig, the clean channel makes them versatile for any 'brand' of music.
Best combination [for rock] is the LP Custom thro the 2x12 Pro....Light Blue Touch Paper and Stand Well Back! 8)

JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
Solid state?

A friend of mine had a Super 60 a few years back. This thing was a high gain 1x12 all tube monster. Very weighty for it's size. From what I can remember it had 4x 12AX7s and 2x KT66 or similar big power tubes in it. (sorry, I don't know my power tubes that well!)
Only problem was that he didn't sell it to me.

P.S It did not sound like a Fender! More like a boutique high gain combo.

I will be selling my last Red amp soon, it's The Twin. I never really got it to sound right. Not even with 60ies Telefunky Tubes. It is a good clean amp, lotsa headroom, but not very musical when pushed, a little edgy. sounds great with Tele guitars. Very featuresque (loop, line out, balanced, parallel and in-line Speaker jacks, ohms switching.
I sold my Super 60 a while ago. It's 60W 2x 6L6, 3x12 AX7s.
Quite a screamer. Still better sounding than any Hot Rod to my ears.
Both amps turned out very dependable, not what everyone else says.

I have circuits and manuals for those on the look, pm me.
I now play a Rivera Knucklehead mostly over a Soldano 4x12, also an Ampeg VT-22. (they used to call it the Poor Man's Twin, but it is way cooler).

Latest posts

Back