Faber hardware on Tokai Les Pauls? anyone tried?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankajoerg

Reaction score
hi!

I just ordered hardware (aged) from Faber:

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p7_TL-MNA--Metric-thread--nickel-aged.html

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p125_HYBRIDge-L-59NA.html

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/xtcommerce/product_info.php?info=p16_TP-59NA--Vintage-Spec-ALU-Stop-Tailpiece--nickel--aged.html

anyone tried these or similar upgrades?

Frank

also, has anyone tried the RS Guitarworks premium vintage kit on these guitars?

Have bought the long shaft kit and going to install it over christmas allong with all the new Faber hardware.

frankajoerg said:
anyone tried these or similar upgrades?

Faber alu-tailpiece with tone-lock kit and a nickel plated bridge with natural brass saddles, are fitted on my LS95S.

IMG_7726.jpg

The faber hardware is excellent. I've got an alu tailpiece and the tone lock studs and they really do make a noticeable improvement.

Not tried the RS kit, but I suspect that long shaft pots will not fit your tokai and will need the holes drilled/reamed out. The original knobs may not fit proerly either (metric vs imperial) so check what's in the guitar now and get the closest fit to that.

If you're doing all this to that beautiful LS80 Reborn then IMO you should make your mods as reversible as possible. Most of what you have suggested so far is competely reversible, but it will devalue the guitar unless you keep the original parts. Just don't go sticking a locking trem on there!

frankajoerg said:
nice:) how does it work for you? did you notice any improvment?

Frank

First this: concerning tone, vibe , sound and taste (not construction, materials or dimensions), our minds are fooling us. Expectations influence the final vote in our heads over what we believe to be reality. The expectation of a better quality product lead us to believe it is better. :lol:

To me, the guitar now has a brighter sound and more sustain(I think), but definitely a few grams less. :wink:

trust me I do not want to drill anything in my reborn so will make sure the RS kit fits, if not then I will pass on it.

But I do believe the Faber hardware will make it shine even more:)

cant wait to test!

Frank, regular RS kit is intented for Les Pauls wich use long shaft pots whereas a regulasrTokai has short shaft pots so check for short shaft ones. Also with CTS imperial size you would have widen the holes a bit to fit.You would not remer any hole if a LS-150 or a Tokai with CTS pots (short shaft). If you have a LS-320 just check for long shaft then.
I got a RS kit with long shaft I do not use if you want it.

I am like you, thinking about putting old style wiring and taking out the board but I always regret doing it.

My Reborn has one of the first Faber aluminiun tailpieces and I do like it a lot, over original one.It stays there.

luis said:
Frank, regular RS kit is intented for Les Pauls wich use long shaft pots whereas a regulasrTokai has short shaft pots so check for short shaft ones. Also with CTS imperial size you would have widen the holes a bit to fit.You would not remer any hole if a LS-150 or a Tokai with CTS pots (short shaft). If you have a LS-320 just check for long shaft then.
I got a RS kit with long shaft I do not use if you want it.

I am like you, thinking about putting old style wiring and taking out the board but I always regret doing it.

My Reborn has one of the first Faber aluminiun tailpieces and I do like it a lot, over original one.It stays there.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you 100% sure regarding the short shafts?
The dealer guy didn't have short in stock but said it didn't matter.

If you know this for sure and it won't help adjusting the holes then I must return them.

Ok:) I will return and swap them for a short version.

But it seems like I will have to drill the holes though..
But this guitar is a keeper so I think I will do it anyway.

frankajoerg said:
But it seems like I will have to drill the holes though..
But this guitar is a keeper so I think I will do it anyway.

It should only take a mm or two to get it right if the short shafts don't fit, so the originals should be able to go back in just fine. But don't forget the knobs may not fit the new pots.

Don't use a drill. Use a hand reamer, otherwise you risk damaging the finish. My advice would be to get professional assistance if you don't know how to use one.

Are you aware of how rare and coveted the Reborns are, especially the high end models like yours? Yours appears to be in exceptional condition too. I only ask because the work you are proposing, while mostly reversible, is fairly extensive and probably out of the comfort zone of most owners who are aware of their value as collector's items.

I use Faber hardware on all of my LPs; most of the vintage Tokai bridges have collapsed to some extent, so need replacement. And the type of corrosion on the bridge is not my thing.
But not all of them benefit from the locking system or will even sound worse with it, so some only have am alu tailpiece (without the locking kit) and/or non locking bridge as replacement part. I even had a Navigator once that sounded best with a zinc alloy tailpiece.
It's good to think about value first before doing changes like replacimg to inch pots. I have put CTS TVT post and vintage caps in my Reborn LS120 and wired it 50s style, it really sounds better that way, all small changes ad to a change in tone. I have Grovers on it too btw :)

I am sure Frank. LS-150, 2005 and LS-180CTM 2007 one off had short shat pots whereas LS-320 have long shaft.Reborns and Love Rocks with board wiring have short. I just have a RS kit that was put on a LS-320 and I took off just because I preferred it stock.
Old Les Pauls had short and new have long shaft.

If you want to be sure I would send my wiring kit to you to try if you want.
To be sure you can putone original pot out, measure pot deep and check with pot shaft or check pot shaft size directly and there you got.

I would take board wiring out of my Reborn very soon and putting some Centralab (DiMarzio branded) I have lyiing around with old style 50ś wiring.Regarding caps I have here some PIO russian, Jensen, Black Cats CDE 0.033 LS-320s had stock, Phillips-Bianchi mustard caps, some old german ERO caps and a pair of Hovlands. Any recomended over the others mentioned?

I too have Faber hardware on my 1980 LS80 and I have recently been thinking of putting the original hardware on the guitar, just to hear the differences as the guitar was already fitted with the Faber parts when I bought it. I have however once fitted a Gibson Les Paul Standard with the very same parts and noticed a difference similar to Felixcatus' view. I can't lower the tailpiece to its minimum height though as the strings will touch the back of bridge. I have been thinking of topwrapping so I can lower it further.. again to hear a difference or not :).

Latest posts

Back