ES120, ES100 - newbie

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossW

Reaction score
Hi,
I just discovered the world of Tokai! Amazing guitars. I am interested in the ES line, specifically the ES 100 and ES120. A couple of questsions:
1. What is the difference between the two?
2. Do they come in black? I have seen red - are there other colors
3. I saw one with a Bigsby Trem. Are they manufactured with Bigsby's or was this done after the purchase?
4. Has anyone played these guitars with Bigsby's?
5. I like to play Blues - I assume these guitars will work well?

thanks in advance

The es100 is now named es110 and the es120 is named es135.

They're basically the same guitars, the differences are only cosmetic : on the es135 the maple is flamed and the finish is nitro.

They come in red, natural, and sunburst color (AFAIK).

I personally never saw one with a bigsby trem, and there aren't any in the current catalog.

This guitar is perfect for blues. I personally think that it can handle anything from jazz to hard rock. I have an es100 and I love it :)

Hi,
Thanks for the response. Is there an online catalogue? Is there a website that I can visit?

many thanks

You can find the catalog here : http://www.tokaiguitars.com.au/Tokai.pdf

Websites :

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/
http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/

The ES120 (now ES135) is a top quality guitar as far as the physical instrument (wood/finish/frets) goes. However, I replaced the wiring, tuneamatic/tailpiece and pickups (Lollars) and its now 100pc in all departments. Can't fault it.

Hi spangled99, i have a ES120 since 3 month i have new pups, alu tailpiece and locking. But how did you modify the wiring and what did it do for you?

As I was replacing the pickups anyway, I also had the pots and switch replaced with top grade US ones, and cloth wire. The pots are now a bit stiff, but I like them that way.

I'm not sure what difference it makes soundwise, if any, but the stock selector switch was already a bit flaky and I didn't want to have to do anything internal ever again. Its a pain working on semis, because everything has to come out of the f holes.

Hi all I am the proud new owner of an es100 MIJ natural finish Tokai guitar. Even though it says es100 on the label inside the f - hole, it is definitely flamed maple and has a very satiny texture so that as th sun hits it, the flame becomes more or less pronounced depending on the angle. It is gorgeous. My question is: I thought the flamed maple was only on the es120 ( es135). Anyone know why?
thanks
Ibnose

Hi Ibnose,
Where did you purchase the guitar? I am having a tough time finding a MIJ Tokia (ES100) in Canada? Do you have any pictures?

HI - it was a fluke of a purchase - afriend of mine put me onto a local ebay listing and I happened to post the winning $ amount - all I had to do was drive over and pick it up. But I was going on his recommendation about the guitar having only specified that I wanted an es 335 type of guitar. I first heard of Tokai because my friend mentioned the whole series: Greco, Burny, Tokai etc. I owned a Gibson '72 es 335 years ago (which I had to sell when my wife wasn't working - ouch!) and this unit feels just like that one did - very silky, definitely a keeper.

Hi Ross W If you google ebay Tokai there is a 2006 MIJ es 110 ( 100 ) that is up for bid with approx 3 days to go. Current bid is US $162.50 and originates in Singapore. Defintely one to watch. I'm assuming I was lucky with a winning bid of US $700 for the guitar I bought. But best of luck to you and I will try to download pix soon of my es.
Seasons Greetings to all
Ib

Hi Ibnose,
I just purchased an ES-60 (with a Bigsby). It is great. I was looking for a MIJ, but could only find a MIK. I love it! If the MIJ's are better than I MIK, can only imagine what a MIJ is like.

Hey RossW Well there you go - got your Tokai already. glad you are enjoying it. the tone of these guitars is unbelievable. the es100 is a copy of the '59 Gib es 335 and I guess that is why they are so sought after. playing them is guitar heaven. Mine really can run the gamut of jazz and blues, plus some honk as well. How did you come by your es 60 how much did you pay etc?
all the best
Ib

I have a Godin LG. I love it and it (not me) can play anything. I was looking for a 335ish guitar. I played a number of guitars. Nothing seemed to be a fit. I tried Epiphones, Gibsons, Ibanez.... Many were fine, but each seemed to be missing something. At that point I thought maybe the 335 was out of the question, and , at the same time I was really beginning to appreciate my Godin.

One day I went into a local shop and came across this Tokai. I must admit I knew nothing about Tokai. Once I played it I, it was sold! It was just what I was looking for. Amazing tone. I paid $699 (CDN of course).

If you want some pics :

my ES-130 : http://www.guitarsmadeinjapan.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=253
me ES-120 : http://www.guitarsmadeinjapan.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=254

Best

I'm interested in an ES-135 with block markers, does anyone know of a British site that sells them?

J.

Latest posts

Back