ES-100/ES-120 necks - a final opinion!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Forgive me for any newbie style foolishness, I've been going back through the site archives for the last two days and enjoyed reading about the variety of guitars Tokai produce and all the people who buy them and love them! I recently bought my first Japanese guitar, a Greco Les Paul from the Mint Collection, and soon followed it up with a couple of decent specials, a Maya J-200 copy that plays beautifully and a rather bashed up 1976 Ibanez 2457 (basically a 345 copy). I love semi-acoustics and have been considering buying one of the Tokai models for some time and tomorrow will be taking the plunge and dropping the money on the line...

...unless I find out the necks are rather slim. Y'see, the Ibanez 2457 is decidedly thin in the hand. I like wide necks, my modded Epiphone Dot, the Maya J200 and the Greco are my favourite guitars as the necks feel chunky, something to wrap the hand around. My modded Sheraton and the 2457 feel a trifle small, particular the 2457. it's not as bad as my now sold Rickenbacker 360, small necks are playable but I never feel relaxed on them and I don't come fomr the school of thought that says a person should be able to play an guitar. I like to feel relaxed wit' me axe!

Therefore tomorrow I hope to be slapping some money down on an ES-120 providing, and this is where all the forum mebers come into it, the neck is decently wide. I've seen other posts say that the ES series based their neck profiles on the '58 335 shape: am I right in thinking that this is the chunkier version and that Gibson changed the 335 profile as they got furhter into the 1960s?

Any help would be much appreciated in order to make me a new convert to Toka :)

Andy.

I'm not sure whether its 50's or 60's, but I can tell you it is a GREAT neck. It is bigger than the neck on my old Epi LP, around the same as the one on my old Orville LP, and much smaller than the neck on my PRS Santana III.
Buy one, you wont regret it! I play mine a lot more than my $4000 PRS!

Thanks for the pointers Hans and Gassy, I'm currently working out my finances for this month before placing my order. I now have to get around to some guitar selling.. never an enjoyable task.

..still haven't worked out what to sell and what to keep yet but next week a lovely sunburst 120 will be arriving into my hands. It feels odd to finally own a semi that isn't cherry red but I'll live!

Yeah, something tells me you'll live! 8)

335top.jpg

It should be with me in a week, just long enough to agonise even further about what to sell...

Latest posts

Back