Edwards E-LP-92CD/P Arrival & Review (Discontinued Model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udonitron

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a newer guitar instead of a vintage. I had my reservations as I would rather invest in some older Japanese made wood vs. newer Chinese made mystery wood lol however the price was so stupid, the praises on this forum are too good, and the pups are too darn creamy to pass any of this up. It arrived packaged well beyond belief but as many have said, I was amazed at the weight once I had it out of the packing.

The fit and finish of the guitar overall is very good, it could have been excellent and here is why:

- Inlays are well done, the ebony fretboard is pristine, the frets are not too bad but they still could have been dressed a little better. From the 12th fret on, they still have some sharper edges that should have never been OK'ed from quality control but I can fix that without too much sweat.

- The nitro has been done in a nice satin finish vs glossy and I dig that big time. I had always wanted a black custom but this one made me bite due to the Duncan P90's in a custom set up with the nice aged binding etc. There are a few spots on the top of the guitar where it looks like dust was present and was sprayed over with the nitro...another QC issue that should have been caught...especially on a $1100 or so retail guitar!? I tried to capture a few of the 6 or 7 spots that are not a HUGE deal but still irks me! One shows up on the horn and one near the selector switch.

- One last QC issue that I was surprised about is how the made a mistake on the routing lip via the back toggle port. You can see in the pic that a few little chunks must have came out and they just painted over it to try to fill in the damage...this is caused from a dull router bit and once again should never have been passed as OK. These are all minor gripes but it makes me wonder about the final inspection in Japan via the ESP reps and how they either got lazy or just said this one kosher?

OK, on to the good stuff. The neck fits right into a 59 radius and feel...really comfy and not massive or slim. The SD P90's scream and sound so good in this guitar. I took off and looked into the control cavity and the grain of the wood sure looks identical to mahogany but as it has been discussed here heavily, it must be of the SEA variety due to density and weight thereof. After playing this and comparing it to a Honduras mahogany based guitar, I can honestly say that the Edwards sings and resonates equally or better, possibly due to the lower density wood? :hmm: The weight difference is about a pound to 1.5 more under my Greco custom and is nice to have that option when you do not want to stand with a 10.5 or so lbs plank over your shoulder. No chambering at all, just a lower density farm raised SEA wood.

Anyway, I will make this lame review brief but I hope it helps people out who are considering to buy this or any other Edwards guitar as they are sweet and impressive instruments and a foundation to what China is possible of int he guitar world. Imagine 20 years from now...these will be the new or additional collectibles I am sure :D Thanks for reading and enjoy the pics.

4335204669_2e57b7f853_b.jpg

4335942530_2a61fb975b_b.jpg

4335196013_5f020e1c85_b.jpg

4335205797_ab5b73876f_b.jpg

4335950062_dfb8ab2da9_b.jpg

4335227919_26cf3c3ea9_b.jpg

4335936162_1ab04140ea_b.jpg

4335932318_b045e500bb_b.jpg

4335938390_6be91040d1_b.jpg

4335970004_04e8c16380_b.jpg

4335191925_227925be1b_b.jpg

4335934460_ba8ca64f1d_b.jpg

Nice! I picked up my first Eddie last week in Tokyo, the JP model with super circuit. The thing that surprised me most is just how high the bridge is off the body. The shop said it's because of the neck-set angle being different than the Tokais they had. After looking at their Tokais and my own, I'd agree. But it looks really high all the same. Plays awesome though!

Enjoy

Jason

Oh man, great photos! I want one!

You sure that it's discontinued? It's still listed on the ESP website:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92CDP.html

Slightly odd one you've got there as it's got aged binding and a different switch tip to the production model:

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/img/itemimages/0251/L/img2_25193.jpg

This model also shouldn't have a nitro finish, should be poly. Otherwise it would have "LT" in the model designation (for lacquer taste).

Udonitron said:
Yeah mine is an older model from 2005. This particular one has nitro (tested) and the aged binding and headstock inlays etc.

Congrats, UDONITRON !!

Thanx for sharing the nice pics. A great ?55 - ?56 LP Custom -Repro! The finish is a nitro-over-poly -coat. Later they called it 'LTS' (Laquer Taste Series). Please show 1 - 2 pics of the awesome ebony fretboard.

Great guitar..... always loved that one. Impeccable build quality.

Here's it's Navigator doppelganger:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070423133606/www.espguitars.co.jp/navigator/nlp400ctm.html

Yeah that Nav....wow. One of the lads over on the "other" forums has one...gorgeous!

MoHo...I will have to take some shots of the fretboard later :D

Udonitron said:
Yeah mine is an older model from 2005. This particular one has nitro (tested) and the aged binding and headstock inlays etc.

Cool, it's an awesome looking guitar. There's a dude on youtube with one of the later poly models:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEDq0rFzgY

Congrats, I have the poly finish model. Like you say, it screams.
Mine has fantastic playability and flawless finish.
Very resonant, very open soundig but always cuts through the mix.
What Amp do you play it trough?

Back