eBay Oz, Bad Penny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
So forum members are now happy to hear a Love Rock described as a "fake Gibson" are they? Hmmm, seems a bit inconsistent guys. :eek:

Mike

I believe it was Gibson themselfs who bought the guitar.

Perhaps they want a Tokai to play with :wink:

Surely the problem here is not that it was a fake Gibson, but a fake Tokai? I assume the buyer didn't pay for it, just bought it so they could leave feedback?

I would be surprised if Gibson got involved in stuff like this. If Gibson were going to get stroppy, they would do the same to people who sell high end Tokais which ARE very very close copies of Gibsons. Since many (not all) of those sellers mention Gibson, Les Paul etc. in their adverts, Gibson could easily insist that the ads are withdrawn for breach of copyright. In fact, that doesn't seem to happen very often.

There could be a red herring in the mix somewhere.

Either way, I hope the seller thinks twice about stealing pictures from genuine honest sellers.

It may sound daft, but taking those pictures also costs time and money.

I think Rich has suffered enough with the floor already, but to have people reminding him that he should have used slate tiles is below the belt :lol:

It does take a lot of time - my busines partner James spends loads of time going through the guitars, then me formatting for the web etc etc.

Someone pinged him before i got round to forwarding on to my account manager. ;0)

Mind you - it's still has an item number so i'll forward it on for good measure and see what happens.

Good work Gibsonlegal. +1

Counterfeit mofo's.

You see, counterfeit manufacturers, are only taking profits from the real manufacturers, such as Fender, Gibson and Tokai, and that profit money should only go back to the companies. If the money doesn't then, their profits decrease, and that starts a chain reaction or sorts.

Of course, the counterfeit supporters club, will argue, well, doesn't Tokai just make illegal copies of Gibson etc. NO, they don't!! It is now a fact that imitating a shape, or style of guitar is ok....

Read the Gibson versus PRS case that was appealed and won by PRS in 2005, it was about the single cut shape.

What IS ILLEGAL is putting the name on the headstock, such as Gibson, Fender, Tokai, on guitars that DID NOT come from that company they claim to be,

By all means, mass produce billions of guitars, whatever farkin shape, but put your own logo on the headstock.......

So yeah, I have no time for counterfeit mofo's.

Mick

Way to go Gibsonlegal.. Looks like he dint pay the crook. And the nerve of the crook! the crook left Gibsonlegal a negative feedback because he didnt pay!!! Great job :D

Im not 100% sure, but I think I saw this seller trying to sell a 1976 proto type springy a few years ago.

seller claimed it had no serial numbers and said it was made in 1976.. wouldnt show pics of electronice either,

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=25391&highlight=#25391

kmarccoco said:
Way to go Gibsonlegal.. Looks like he dint pay the crook. And the nerve of the crook! the crook left Gibsonlegal a negative feedback because he didnt pay!!! Great job :D

Atta boy Gibsonlegal - it takes some balls to start off your eBay history with a negative feedback but considering the scumbag who gave it to you, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you can reply back to his feedback so that it appears on his profile - reaffirming that he's a fake.

Good job mate :wink: (but ask here first before you pull the trigger on something you're not sure about)

marcusnieman said:
Atta boy Gibsonlegal - it takes some balls to start off your eBay history with a negative feedback but considering the scumbag who gave it to you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hold on a minute - am I missing something here? I assume that Gibsonlegal isn't a genuine eBay punter - surely this account (just like the other one - was it "realtokaisonly"?) was set up specifically to bid on this item and to give negative feedback. It will now be abandonned, as it doesn't cost anything to set up a new eBay account. If the person behind the account wants to do this again, presumably they will start another new account and use that to bid.

Or am I missing something?

I've just had someone buy something from me on EBay today and leave negative feedback on a Japanese tokai straight away.

It hasn't been paid for or even shipped yet!!

Looking at their EBay account info they give an iffy looking taiwan address and country as american samoa or something like that....some really sad time wasting malicious prats out there....

It sounds to me as though they believe that Gibsonlegal is you, Richard, possibly because of the reference in the feedback to stealing your pics. I assume it wasn't you, but you seem to have got the blame anyway.

This is the trouble with vindictive action on eBay - it can backfire. This is why I have my doubts about the tactics of Gibsonlegal. Although I sympathise with exposing scammers, maybe this isn't the best way to do it?

It's rough that your excellent feedback record has been dented - my sympathies. Maybe if eBay policed their own website properly, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. You do have the right to reply to the negative comment made, and explain that the buyer never even paid.

:(

Gibson Legal wasn't me in all honesty. We have an account manager who i just bat stuff like this to.

If i've ever spotted anything like this and report it the listings just get pulled - no feedback exchanges. I didn't even manage to get round to reporting this listing straight away as we've had a carpenter in knocking our shop around - got a fancy new desk/counter....anyway, what with that, packing and doing housework to keep the wife happy....it slipped down my priorities.

I think we'll be alright once the ebay team pull their finger out and "zap" it. Looks crap for a couple of days though. :evil:

We had that happen to us ( although our ebay shop is not music related ) . The account guys should remove the neg.

Get the account guys to check if there is links to the two Chinese ebay users that TOGPS pointed out ( zhuanyejishu( 435) and zhubabapwj( 7 )).

If they have been sloppy, you may get an NRU on those as well.

In a way they have admitted to stealing from you as well .

After reading this post, I reported this item as fake to eBay on 21st April. I imagine other forum members did too. This morning, I received a long, rambling e.mail from eBay about the guitar I had apparently bought from eBay Australia. Here is some of it:

Thank you for your email regarding the electric guitar (item
120250605126) you purchased from "zhubabapwj". I understand you're
concerned as you received a fake item from your seller. I also want to
apologise for the delay in responding to your email.

I'm sorry to hear this transaction is causing you much worries and
inconvenience. As an eBay member myself, I understand how you feel as
you tried to purchase this item in good faith and some problem came
along.

To assist you on this matter, I've personally checked our system and I
see that you paid AU $368.00 for this item and the listing ended on
April 22, 2008. This is a lot of money and I can certainly understand
how you feel right now.

I can also see that bought this item using eBay.au which is an Australia
based eBay site.

If this happened without your knowledge, it could be possible that it is
the seller who opted for this listing to also appear on that site. This
means that you'll be protected under the purchase protection policy of
the eBay site you used to place your winning bid or used Buy It Now even
if you registered your account on eBay.co.uk.

As such, you'll be redirected to the eBay site on which you bought the
item to file the dispute. If that site offers the eBay Standard Purchase
Protection Programme, you'll be able to escalate your dispute to a
claim.

I can explain the steps you need to take now, but for more specific
information regarding purchase protection policies on other eBay sites
or help with your dispute, please contact Customer Support for that
site.

I realise you want to know what course of action you should take now
regarding this situation.

He the rambles on about contacting the seller.....then ends his e.mail....

As for "zhubabapwj", I assure you that I am equally concerned about
violations on the site and that your complaint has been noted. Buying
and selling in this community has always been meant to be pleasant
although it is unavoidable that bad situation like this hinders the
fulfillment of this experience.

We will investigate this transaction and will take appropriate action
following the completion of our investigation, in accordance with the
policies of eBay. However, please keep in mind that due to eBay's
privacy considerations that are in place to protect us all, I am unable
to provide you with specific details of regarding the investigation or
on the actions that were taken against another members account.

I trust that this information has been useful to you. If you have any
further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Darren Leyton
eBay Trust & Safety

What the hell is all that about? It's a mystery to me how he can have interpretted my report of a listing breach as "I bought this guitar and it's a fake"! With staff like Darren Leyton, no wonder eBay's "Customer Service" is a joke. And it took him nearly two weeks to write that load of crap.

I know that we are all entitled to be stupid, but Mr. Leyton abuses the priviledge! :evil:

Well its good old e-bay,they havent a clue have they,the guy who sold it has had the neg feedback gibsonlegal left removed maybe because he didnt pay, so now he can just carry on selling what ever and when ever he wants.Well someone tried to do something about it,but to me they have had the last laugh :-? and all the way to the bank if they pull it off again.

Hi all.

This is my second attempt at my first post. I read with interest the whole unfolding of this thread and would like to share this Ebay story with you. Although not Tokai specific, it ties in all the same.

About 2 years ago I listed a Cannondale bike on Craigslist, and I looked on Ebay a few days later to see what similar items were fetching there. To my amazement, my pictures and words were on Ebay, also in California, but in Mountain View about 1/2 an hour down the road.

I emailed the "seller" and asked for his contact tel number. Once he had supplied his number I called and asked him some questions about the bike that he was unable to answer. I asked where the bike was, and he said it was there, but not at his house. I said that it was in fact at my house, and that I was reporting him to Ebay. He threatened to kick my head in, and after telling him where I work, I am still waiting for him to show up. :wink:

I did contact Ebay, they didn't pull the listing, nor did they respond to my emails. It goes to show that there's always someone willing to put in a few hours' work on an ad, in order to stiff a poor unsuspecting punter.

Latest posts

Back