??????? Don't pass this one up ???????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the input Mick, John. I bailed on this one yesterday, but it sounds like I should maybe have come up with the funds. I was looking for something to set up for slide, and as always looking to get a nicer guitar than I needed. As it is, I went low-end and picked up a set neck Aria Pro II sunburst (1981) that looks real nice, but needs some binding work, $250 shipped. I appreciate your time and info.

Randy

I guess I'm confused, or at least a bit fuzzy, about the volute on the back of the headstock. Was this a standard Greco feature during some period?

I noticed that volute too. I have an '82 Greco Mint Collection Custom in black w/ three pickups, (not totally sure of the model number) and it has a Super Real truss rod cover, fret-edge binding, but no volute.

I did bid on the guitar 1st time around and bailed out at $620.. It finaly sold 2 bids above me at $650... Then I recived a Second offer and was told by the seller (who has answered all my question all along) That the high bid from Argentina had paid right away but refunded the money do to a shipping issuse from the US to Argentina. He also had said that he had offered a second chance bid to the 2nd postion bidder at the same time... He does need to sell the guitar due to a recent purchase. Moral of the story... IMO....It comes with a Gibson case.. $650-699 even if it is a EGC-500.. in the shape it is in is a decent price.. :p

I am going to take a stab....... with the volute and looking at the 1982 Mint Collection catalog.. IMO it could be a EGC-68-50 if it has Screaming pups a EGC-68-80 would be Double trick pups.

Hi Cliff, as far as i know that finish was never used on those models, {68-50, 68-80}, and the 2 mentioned models have different control knobs. I have a RR-65 from 1983 and it has the volute neck, i think it depends on what model of Gibson they were copying as to wheather it has the volute or not.

Mick

Hey Mick.... check this link out...... the EGC68-50 and 80 come in the following colors CRS, VF, EB, ...His guitar has "CRS" in the pup cavity along with "500"... and the pups have the numbering of 511032,. Back in the day EGC68-50 was 500 yen and a guitar with "500" in the model was 500 yen. Are we having fun or what?... :D

Translated version

http://209.85.171.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://psyco.jp/greco/file/tmc_6.html&usg=ALkJrhiDwI7sBliOG693CWFOw0h5prKMrQ

But hey..... then agian.... Greco was known to do some different stuff.

yeah Cliff, i have that catalogue, wasn't too sure what the "CRS" stood for, i assumed the "C" in "CRS" stood for cherry as in cherry red sunburst, and this guitars is definitely not cherry. I have a couple of weeks to wait till my Japanese friend comes back from the US, when he arrives i shall find out for sure... :wink: The 68-50 and 68-80 had different knobs to the EG 500 C so i'd say the 68-50 and the EG500C are basically the same guitar with some small changes...

Mick

OK...... the listing has been cancelled..... NO WAIT>>>He has it listed Twice... Once to buy it now @ $1099.00 and the other is no reserve auction.....it goes to the highest bidder...

New Listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290271217151

I am high bidder at $1.54 .... Wish me luck :wink:

Back