Does this look like a good guitar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenderjazz

Reaction score
I found this on Ebay. I have a great 71 Tele with maple neck now this strat with rosewood should work out well. Thanks for your input, Roy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260724155199&si=VTDAJmf1MXgcJ2lSy7EOW%252B896qM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1145

fenderjazz said:
I found this on Ebay. I have a great 71 Tele with maple neck now this strat with rosewood should work out well. Thanks for your input, Roy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=260724155199&si=VTDAJmf1MXgcJ2lSy7EOW%252B896qM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1145

Welcome to the forum.

The description of the item says, all original from Steve's Music in Toronto and bought new in 1983?
Lovely little story, but I would pass.
Tuners are wrong, and two string retainers on headstock are wrong to me
Anyway, it does look nice, but more pics is what I would like to see, it could be okay, with previous owner putting changed tuners and extra string retainer, but I doubt it.

I would be asking from the seller pics of inside pickup cavities and control routing for code stamps, underside of pickguard, and neck butt, and neck pocket, if I was interested in this guitar I would be posting the pics here for folks here to double check if it's the real McCoy or not, before buying this particular one, if the seller didn't then, good bye, and not good buy.

Mick

Mick, and others, I have asked the seller to hold the guitar until this is settled. The seller has got integrity and realizes one sale won't make or break his business, but that bad customer service will. He says the tuners are Gotoh and thinks the guitar was assembled from parts to avoid paying import tax on it. Now that seems a little odd to me. Part of proper guitar building is setting the action right so unless this guitar was assembled by Tokai and then disassembled for shipping, it doesn't sound right to me. Kind of like just buying a Fender body and a Fender neck and bolting them doesn't really make a Fender guitar. I am starting to get cold feet but am waiting for the photo's of the inside of the guitar. Thanks for your help guys. I think the Gotoh tuners for sure does not make it as advertized "100 percent original" so I have some thinking to do overnight. Thanks, Roy

The guitar turned out to be 100 percent fake. The seller said he will refund my payment. The pickguard is not original. The pickups are Seymour Duncan SSL-1's, the neck and body are marked 8 in blue and the truss rod isn't Tokai either. The body is obviously brand new. Seems like the whole freaking guitar was a fake. Can anyone steer me to a real Tokai???? Thanks, Roy

I did get my money back, the seller, Tonestackguitars wes unaware of the hoax that was being played on both of us. They were gracious and professional about the attempted fraud and hopefully the perp is getting this guitar shoved right where it should be shoved. I learned from this: never buy a guitar without full photographic evidence. Unfortunately there are people who have no problem trying to profit on guitars such as Tokai's that have earned a rebound in their vintage prices. Fortunately I bought from a business I felt that I could trust and that is the only part of this story that was true.

Hooray for the seller! Good on them, for taking the ethical high road. And, I'm glad it has had a better than might have been expected outcome for you.

Back