Cracked pickup mounts revisited.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math2014

Reaction score
Hi all,

A fellow forumite, posted 2 pics with cracked pickup mounts on his Tokai LP. Same thing happened to my LS85Q recently on the neck pickup ring.

Got any ideas on what to replace it with? Should i radius the new ones? Should i superglue the cracked one and radius it again?

I was generally told that some pickup rings on carve tops (flat rings) just crack like that and it is not an uncommon thing to happen.

Feel free to advice please.

yannis

Hi Yannis,

You could always have a chat to Tim about it, they have pickup mounting rings available in both black & cream, and theoretically (?), should fit, all for about ?3.00. There again, if the crack isn't that bad, I'd get the old super glue out.

Has that happened to you mate as well? I just want to make sure it wont happen again!

Dont forget to use some bi-carb of soda with the superglue.

ie drop the bi-carb on top of the two parts just prior to putting together .

Rather then explain why just search Google for Bi-carb and crazy glue.

It is 100x stronger then super glue on its own ( great for building up slots in guitar nuts if you cut them to low ).

i have had the same problem with 3 loverocks at the neck rings
got fed up and just left them as they are not causing any problems

mike martin said:
i have had the same problem with 3 loverocks at the neck rings
got fed up and just left them as they are not causing any problems

****, this pickup ring makes me think my guitar sounds like crap :roll:

One day i think i got bearable fretbuzz, and today i think it sucks... psychoacoustics :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Both my Love Rocks thankfully don't suffer from cracked rings (ooh er missus! ;) ).

If the mounting ring has been removed, and then replaced, the screws should only really be put back so that they are tight to the ring, but not too tight. The way I do it, is to put opposite corners in first to "finger tight", then the other 2 opposite corners to "just screwdriver tight", then tighten the 1st 2 screws to the same level.

IMO, the unbalanced, over tightening of these mounting screws leads to the rings cracking, and they should all be tightened to about the same level, but not too tight.

Skybone said:
Both my Love Rocks thankfully don't suffer from cracked rings (ooh er missus! ;) ).

If the mounting ring has been removed, and then replaced, the screws should only really be put back so that they are tight to the ring, but not too tight. The way I do it, is to put opposite corners in first to "finger tight", then the other 2 opposite corners to "just screwdriver tight", then tighten the 1st 2 screws to the same level.

IMO, the unbalanced, over tightening of these mounting screws leads to the rings cracking, and they should all be tightened to about the same level, but not too tight.

+1 on this.

My '83 LS80 has cracked rings, if I overtighten them they start to ride up. If I just snug 'em up, no problems. It used to bother me a bit, but now I don't care.

Thanks guys,

Any ideas which rings are suitable for the Tokai? Gibson ones? Are there any specific drilling dimensions that i should look for?

luis said:
Is there any avalaible fom Schaller?I think so.

I totally dont know mate, i know that Gibson only has the "low" height rings as aftermarket. I found a neck ring (no-name cheap generic) from my shop that is the correct height (tall) but the drilling is off by 0.5mm or so. Maybe i could bodge it on or something. I plan to radius it on my own in order to avoid future cracks.

In the mean time, if anyone has any specs for tokai rings, please feel free to tell me

Yannis

Ok here is the deal for all people suffering from cracked pup rings...

Inspired by Skybone... i loosened up the 2 screws (bottom ones) on my neck pu mounting ring. I noticed that they were OVERtightened from factory (i almost stripped the heads off).

Basically 1 turn on each, and the ring, suddenly conformed to the body contour much better, and the crack dissappeared (the two halves joined up).

So, the reason for cracking? Overtightened bottom screws... 1 turn loosening on each, made it for me.

I hope other people find it usefull as well.

Yannis

Latest posts

Back