Can I get a confirmation on this Greco LP?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington Irving

Reaction score
Hello!
I stumbled upon this guitar and I'm considering buying it, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the money. The seller claims it to be a EG 700 Greco made in Japan in early eighties. He says the tuners and pickups are Grecos, and that it has a long neck tenon.
I asked him for additional pics of the neck pickup cavity, the electronics cavity and bigger pics of the back, because it's hard to tell how many pieces the body is. Haven't got the pics yet.

Here are the pics provided by him so far: http://www.aukcjoner.pl/gallery/002686855-EG700.html#I1

he asks 585E for it. The up side is that the guy is located 200km from me and I can pick the guitar up personally. I'm looking for a good player - do you think it's worth it?

Definitely Korean - visible headstock joint. Interesting photo of the body back though - almost looks like one piece with a swirling grain pattern. Is that mahogany?

The seller says it's mahogany, and it looks like it to me. The back looking like 1pc was bugging me too, but the seller wrote that it's most probably a 3pc back. He doesn't know what a "sandwich" body is, but judging from what he said, it could be a sandwich. Unfortunately he can't make any more pics until next week. Black painted cavities would make it 100% clear whether it's a MIK or not to me.

About the headstock joint - I saw it too, but it seems visible on one photo, but disappears on the other ;). Are you sure it's not a one piece neck?

sorry for a post-under-post, but I recievied photos of the guitar, that I requested. Black painted cavities and colorful wires inside tell me it's 100% Cor-Tek made :). But - the back is not the 'pancake' type, so it might be 1pc. Also, it has a long neck tenon so it might be a pretty nice guitar, overall.

The seller also has a Greco Super Power.. I'm waiting for the pics.

hi
i got 3 greco super power from the early 80 ..... and they all rock your socks of :D :D ....
one goldtop and 2 sunburst ,,,,, they are really really great guitars ,,,,
they have a 3 piece top but i dont mind that
so if you are looking for good guitar go for the super power ,,,
they can have chambered body ,, and i dont like them :D :D
once i had a lp mik by cortek ,,,, a very well build guitar ,,,, but a bit heavy ,,,, and not in the same liga as the super power :D :D
all the best
otto

I agree with Otto, early 80s Super Powers can be good value for the money. They are around 4 kg & have a fat neck that plays really well. The ones I had in my hands tended to be a little unbalanced acoustically; the emphasis is on the low mids. But that's a matter of taste.

Here are the pics od the super power. Any idea what model can it be, and what money is it worth?
This time it's a real MIJ, probably from 1980 (basing on the serial). Has FEB.. but FEB was also on not-so-high-end Greco models in the 80s, right?
I'm concerned about the neck wood. Since Greco has made maple necks in the 70s, this could be a transitional model with a maple neck. Do you think it's probable?

I bought the same model guitar a few weeks ago here in Japan. I am very impressed. It sounds great and has a very dark rosewood board. Nice pickups as well. If you can get it for a reasonable price I would say to go for it. They go for around 40,000 yen here used. I think they are a great bargain. Looks to be a solid body unlike the 70's Grecos with the pancake bodies. Some have said these are chambered. i can't tell with mine but it feels great and has great sound unplugged and plugged in.

4955498271_e766c211a8_z.jpg

4956090198_e18c457314_z.jpg

4956090042_6d7f0b3ca8_z.jpg

4956089752_4ffe80237f_z.jpg

4956090504_854a1f28da_z.jpg

4956089938_2fd95d5683_z.jpg

Washington Irving said:
Here are the pics od the super power. Any idea what model can it be, and what money is it worth?
This time it's a real MIJ, probably from 1980 (basing on the serial). Has FEB.. but FEB was also on not-so-high-end Greco models in the 80s, right?
I'm concerned about the neck wood. Since Greco has made maple necks in the 70s, this could be a transitional model with a maple neck. Do you think it's probable?

It's a november 1980 EG500C.
I don't know how common Greco's are in Poland but I wouldn't pay more than 550 euro for that. I think 40.000 yen is pretty high for such a model, especially when it also has to be imported.

Wulfman, nice one, your pics really show how good can it look (unlike the ones I got..).

Jacco - how can you tell it's an EG 500?

It's a november 1980 EG500C.
I don't know how common Greco's are in Poland but I wouldn't pay more than 550 euro for that. I think 40.000 yen is pretty high for such a model, especially when it also has to be imported.

550 Euros is probably about right if it is coming from Japan and it is in good condition. I got mine for about half that all things considered on Yahoo Japan.
If you compare it to something like a modern Chinese Epiphone Les Paul it is a relatively good deal.

Just a reminder - Super Power is mid- range Greco. So the price should be determined based on that. Mid-range Grecos, like other mid-range MIJ Les Pauls are not intended to be accurate replicas of the "best" Gibson Les Pauls from the 1950s. If you look deeper into the available information, you will see. It all depends on what you are looking for.

wulfman said:
550 Euros is probably about right if it is coming from Japan and it is in good condition. I got mine for about half that all things considered on Yahoo Japan.
If you compare it to something like a modern Chinese Epiphone Les Paul it is a relatively good deal.

I should have added that 550 euros after shpping/duty would be a decent deal.

Back