Burny Super Grade, but not ? Super Grade Model??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jussi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum which I?ve been following a while, after I bought a Burny Super Grade from ?Bay some time ago.

My new guitar is definitely nice and plays/sounds good but I have been wondering about one thing; where it says ?Super Grade? on the neck, it is missing the word ?Model? below the text, which EVERY Burny LP seems to have. Anyone have any ideas about this?

When I bought the guitar, this was from Germany actually, the seller claimed that it is dates back to late 1980s or early 90s and I guess the shape of truss rod cover would prove this. There is no serial on the guitar and the PUs as well as pots (which say ?US 500K?) have all been changed. Both PUs (really hi-output) are Bridge-PUs for some strange reason.

Somehow I got the idea that the PUs, pots and all electronics, maybe even all hardware have been changed and there's thick coat of shielding paint all over the insides too. Wiring is done super neatly and all hardware looks brand new.

Also, the guitar is super clean apart from some fretwear and some minor nicks in the neck-edge binding, which is bit suspicious. Apparently the guitar has been hanging on a wall of a studio virtually un-played for a long time. Anyone has an opinion on what?s the real deal with my guitar?

b2.JPG

b6.JPG

b8.JPG

I don't think this is from Korea/China, or I hope that it is not. And at least the truss rod cover is what is supposed to be late 80s/early 90s MIJ-model and also the fret edge bindings are yellowed and worn very authentic-ly, I should get a picture of those.

It's anice looking guitar, but things don't seem to be adding up for it being an authentic Burny -- of course, I'm no expert, so I could easily be wrong.

The headstock has me worried because it looks too short, almost squat. NOtice how the E and e tuning pegs are well below the top screw of the truss rod. On all other MIJ copies, Burnys especially the first tuners are aligned with the top screw itself ... as in this case http://www.apionet.or.jp/~koiz/VIPuser/VIP001.htm

I'm afraid I'm going to say it's either an MIK, MIC Burny or something else, made to look like an MIJ.

But, if you like, none of this matters ... how's it sound (with 2 bridge pickups, that is!).

Thanks,
Bill

Pickups are the ones from a RGZ-45 or the like (500 model) to me,not VH-1 ......

I guess that tenon could qualify for a middle-deep tenon?

anyhow, where ever the guitar really is made, as I said it plays, feels and sounds good. thanks to everyone, even if my question turned into a bit of a "don't ask a question if you don't like the answers" kind of thing.

also, the guy I bought this from is currently selling an Orville LP STD in 'bay and it is looks somehow a bit too similar to my Burny:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Orville-Les-Paul...ryZ46648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back