burny rlg-50 from japanguitars.co.uk

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doing the best I can, returned from hols friday, was aware of the problem satarday, sunday my computer blew up, yesterday i went to the post to put a trace on it, and it has arrived in the country of destination on the 3rd, didnt think it was needed to comment, but since you asked there you go.

it will be sorted..

thanks for all the positive vibes from most people....

MIJvintage said:
well the Les Paul, there have been enumerable kind words about villager & his service here but Mark hasn't chimed in ................

did you get your Burny yet?

The postman knocked on the door with a heavy pack of a Les Paul just an hour ago. It's arrived! Mark and me found it at last. First impression: NICE!
I will post pics and further impressions after I try it out.

The pictures I promised! I did some minor upgrades (faber tailpiece, vol/tone knobs). I think she's lookin' hot:

BURNY_02_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

BURNY_01_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Yes, it's nice. I'm still workin' on finding out the exact date of birth. Could be somewhere between '85-'89, but not sure.
One of the future's upgrade will be a set of Bare Knuckle Black dogs. I think it would be the best choice of humbuckers for this baby.

the Les Paul said:
Yes, it's nice. I'm still workin' on finding out the exact date of birth. Could be somewhere between '85-'89, but not sure.

If even Mark doesn't know the exact date,it could be difficult to find out.I have something in my mind that there was a thread here about this guitar but not sure.Anyway,good luck with the dating

Very nice top indeed, have you replaced the switch? it is white in the earlier pics. The Bare Knuckles will give it a kick along for sure...enjoy!!

jacco said:
Udonitron said:
From a few tell tale signs, I bet is around an '85 or so.

I would say 1988

According to the low script logo it must be a '88 model. But the pickups are from the '82-'84 period (yellow base plate, grey wire). So it's still a mystery.
The specs: 3 piece back, 1 piece neck, 2 piece plain top matched very nicely, medium neck tenon, fret edge binding and no pickguard (nor screw hole for it). Maybe a transitional model from '87? But the pickups are much more earlier...

I would date it with the script logo which is original for sure.The pickups may have been changed,you never know how many owners she had before and each of them perhaps has made some upgrades or changes

let me point out that the script logo info on my site is courtesy of nils, it is his own observations regarding the logo's, it is NOT verified in any way, and meant to be a guide, not the absolute finish of the matter, we have no idea if burny changed the position of the logo at certain times as nils proposes, or more than he thinks, to one type then back to another, so for me personally the script position is not enough evidence to accurately date any burny, the winged trussrod cover seems to be consistant with later 80's burnys though

That's why I think it's 1988 or so; the truss rod cover is not original. Why would someone change the TRC? Only if the one original one doesn't look right (=winged). That in combination with low script would make it plausible to date it to that period.
To me Nils is right with his observations regarding TRCs. Just look at the catalogs and Burnys that pass on the web; it's the only consistent feature on these guitars without having to pop out the pups or take a look at the controls cavity.

As far as pickups go, I don't think you can date Burny's by the color of the pickup baseplates either. I've owned a few early 80's Burny's with Nickel baselates aswell as brass. So have a few other members here. Somebody posted an 80' FLG-90 with nickel baseplates on here recently. I've also seen alot of late 80's Burny's with winged TRC's and brass baseplates. Whatever year it is, it's a cool guitar for sure! Just like mine I did a little modding aswell. Motorcity Blackbelts, Oil capacitors, Aluminum tailpiece, Abr-1 w/brass saddles, new guard,
P1010144.jpg

Back