brass or graphite saddles

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
hey guys and gals,

i was just wandering if anybody here knows of a decent website in the UK that sells graphite or brass saddle replacements for the bridge on my LS85Q???

i did come across a site a while back but for some reason i cant find it anymore....

any help would be gladly appreciated!!!!

cheerz guys..

Dave

LoveRocksRule said:
are they supposed to be good??? better than brass???

Matter of opinion. Graphtec are primarily designed to reduce string breakage and improve tuning stability. Brass is supposed to sound more 'vintage'.

Graphtec have a technical advantage, but unless you're having problems I'm not sure I'd bother.

As for brass, I don't think they make a huge difference in sound but it makes a good talking point for vintage obsessives. I've got them, but only because they came with my aftermarket bridge.

i have graphite saddles on my 1962 jazzmaster, and I put them on because anyone who's ever owned a jaguar or jazzmaster knows that those saddles are horrendous... strings pop out all over the place, breaking ALL the time.

My string breakage has cut down dramatically since getting the graphite saddles... in fact i'd venture to say that I don't remember having broken a string at all. This from a full-time pro player on his main guitar where I used to break strings all the time... so in that regard I can attest that they work.

The difference in sound can be heard in an a/b test but is not enough to be noticable otherwise. Many think it's a positive change, I think it's a neutral one... just a slightly different character.

IF you use them though you have to make sure that the strings are grounded somewhere else besides the bridge... if not then the graphite saddles aren't conductive and your strings won't be grounded. On the JM I ran a little short wire from the pickguard shield to the tailpiece and that did it.

brad347 said:
I have graphite saddles on my 1962 jazzmaster, and I put them on because anyone who's ever owned a jaguar or jazzmaster knows that those saddles are horrendous... strings pop out all over the place, breaking ALL the time. My string breakage has cut down dramatically since getting the graphite saddles

Ditto for me. The same is true for Stratocaster saddles too, but why should that be a surprise? I put http://www.graphtech.com saddles on a couple of mid-70's strats and haven't broken a string since.

I haven't tried their saddles for Gibson-type bridges because I haven't had breakage problems with my Gibson-type guitars.

If you check out http://www.graphtech.com , you'll see that their search engine has a "Tokai Springy Sound" entry.

I've bought spares from

www.axesrus.com

Dunno if they'll have the bits you need, but maybe worth a try.

heya lrr
you want to try out an alumminium bridge
, try mine if you want before buying one as to me there really isnt much to be gained and these bridges are quite pricy, it will fit your axe as it fits both my 75q and older 70f
also all parts do the graphite saddles , dont know about loverock ones but i got a set for my springy and def help with tuning and less breakages
not sure about tone as i really cant hear any improvement
mike

hey guys,

i just wanted to know if changing the saddles affected the sound nothing to do with string braekage i hardly ever break strings neve3r been a problem for me...

i dont think that i am gonna bother changing them i plan to get a giher end tokai at some point and these come with the aluminium tailpieces and bridges with brass saddles....

its gonna definetly be LS150 or above though....

Dave

Back