Bargain 'lawsuit' bolt-on Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blake375 said:
Looks in good condition for its age and at ?140 you can't go wrong.

You can if it's anything like my first electric - an Avon LP copy, with a bolt on neck, & the steamed ply top. Give me a new Chinese Tokai in preference to that, any day!

Mike

@ f5joe - none, hence lawsuit 'sneer quotes'. The copies aren't accurate enough to warrant legal action!

@ stratman - my mate's got an Avon and they are indeed terrible. Antorias/Ibanezes (only difference is name on headstock) are much better, but you wouldn't buy one if you wanted a high-quality guitar or an accurate Gibson copy. They look like Gibbos but are built totally differently. I only paid ?45 for mine but it played and sounded so good that it became my main gigging guitar for the next 10 years. I'd happily pay ?150 for another one... if I hadn't become a Tokai strat freak, that is! :lol:

Thanks Tom, you sent a shiver down my spine seeing that horrible thing again! Is it any wonder I fell in love with my Goldstar in late '83? Even to this day, I dislike black guitars, particularly black LPs. That thing scarred me for life!

As for MDF guitars, aren't Danelectros MDF, or chipboard? And yet, cheap as they are, they have a certain funkiness, & a sound all of their own.

stratman323 said:
Thanks Tom, you sent a shiver down my spine seeing that horrible thing again! Is it any wonder I fell in love with my Goldstar in late '83? Even to this day, I dislike black guitars, particularly black LPs. That thing scarred me for life!

Ha I knew that would touch a nerve Mike :D

Actually, for a while I used to envy the guys with the Avons and Shaftesbury copies when I was starting out. I had to make do with Hofners, which played nicely but sounded feeble, until I got a brand new Kasuga Barney Kessel copy and entered my 'Jazz' period. 8)

As for MDF guitars, aren't Danelectros MDF, or chipboard? And yet, cheap as they are, they have a certain funkiness, & a sound all of their own.

Yes that's true. I have a Dano U2 90's reissue with the aluminium nut like the originals, but it has a ply body frame as opposed to the poplar frame on the originals. The top and back are still made from 'Masonite', a compressed wood fibre board that uses no glue or resin in it's manufacture unlike MDF and chipboard which use nasty formaldehydes to bind the wood chips and dust together.

Back