Bacchus CLASSIC series?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveWW said:
It'll be good to get more info. Don't know how they do it for the money and the pic's will be interesting! Do you think the top is solid? The info on their web-site is hard to translate accurately so I wasn't sure.

Dave

In talking directly with Sho Hara at Deviser before buying, the flame tops are solid. Nitro is top coat over thin coat poly.

Pegcityrocker said:
Love the step by step un-wrapping shots Marcus! Makes me feel like I was there.

So is the neck much beefier than the LS150?

Thanks man... yeah, I was going for that effect in my chronology of photos.... wanted you to see what I was seeing.

Yeah, the neck is big..... very much a 59 profile.... while the LS150 is a bit smaller.... not narrower across the width but in the fullness you feel in the palm of your hand.

youami said:
That is killer Marcus! I doubt that there is a better value Les Paul out there at the moment if you want a bit of flame. It's pity that you can't keep this one and your Tokai too.

I wish I'd never sold my Bacchus strat...

I jumped on this one knowing I was going to have to sell one to do so.... all told, this cost me about $1795 landed at my door.... I haven't played it yet so it's premature to say how good it actually is but from what I'm seeing and what I've heard about them, it looks to be a bargain for what you get.

My Bacchus strats are what made me want to get one of their Les Pauls. The strats are some of the best I've ever played... much less owned. The think that I like the most about the brand are their pickups.... they sound like no others. Like the strats, they do their own humbuckers and I can't wait to hear how they sound compared to the LS150 (which sould great by the way)

I know EXACTLY what it sounds like. LOL :>) I'm tracking mine now on the new record and it's grinding and throaty and articulate and snarling. And **** YEAH!!! :>) But yeah I am having to adjust my hard hitting style or it bends out of tune cause the frets are dressed to a V point. I wish they weren't but oh well. Mine is much more cherry looking than this flame top. Mines not nearly as pretty. But I love it. oh there was something on the neck and I thought it was gunk and I was scrapping it with my nail and I put a little dent in the finish. I actually scraped off a little piece of the finish. bummer. I hope that doesn't start a trend and it keeps going. That would suck.

marcusnieman said:
youami said:
That is killer Marcus! I doubt that there is a better value Les Paul out there at the moment if you want a bit of flame. It's pity that you can't keep this one and your Tokai too.

I jumped on this one knowing I was going to have to sell one to do so.... all told, this cost me about $1795 landed at my door.... I haven't played it yet so it's premature to say how good it actually is but from what I'm seeing and what I've heard about them, it looks to be a bargain for what you get.

My Bacchus strats are what made me want to get one of their Les Pauls. The strats are some of the best I've ever played... much less owned. The think that I like the most about the brand are their pickups.... they sound like no others. Like the strats, they do their own humbuckers and I can't wait to hear how they sound compared to the LS150 (which sould great by the way)

Hi Marcus, thanks for sharing. The neck IS big and reminds me of the Greco Super reals (having never played a real 50's Gibby).
I am interested to see which one you will keep and why. I guess they are similar pricewise?

wulfman said:
marcusnieman said:
youami said:

Hi Marcus, thanks for sharing. The neck IS big and reminds me of the Greco Super reals (having never played a real 50's Gibby).
I am interested to see which one you will keep and why. I guess they are similar pricewise?

Not quite as wide as Super Real?

Bacchus seem to like to stick to a 42mm nut width with nice fat depth putting the back of the neck into your palm (which I really like) but the SRs were about 44mm weren't they?

Marcus, if you can be bothered/get around to it, could you measure the nut width on the Classic?

wulfman said:

They would have been about the same list price if I'd bought them both in 2009 when the dollar vs yen conversion was closer. With the softer dollar, the Classic is a few hundred more.

JVsearch said:
Bacchus seem to like to stick to a 42mm nut width with nice fat depth putting the back of the neck into your palm (which I really like) but the SRs were about 44mm weren't they?

Marcus, if you can be bothered/get around to it, could you measure the nut width on the Classic?

For what it is worth, I've got 42.5 mm nut width on my Classic, and 43 mm on my EGF-850.

The neck does feel narrower then the grecos or gibsons but it doesn't bother me. I like it.

wulfman said:
JVsearch said:

For what it is worth, I've got 42.5 mm nut width on my Classic, and 43 mm on my EGF-850.

Ok, so bugger all difference there basically! :lol:

Mitch Malloy said:
The neck does feel narrower then the grecos or gibsons but it doesn't bother me. I like it.

That's the way I was thinking as well, the width on my Duke definitely seems to be narrower than what was on the Historic I had, which was 44mm.

I figured the Greco Super Reals were pretty spot on to the Gibby specs.

So it's only a half a mm difference? Well I may have them build it a half a mm larger on the duke then as I can see it and feel it it doesn't bother me but I would prefer it wider.

My current and former 1980 Greco EGF1800 both have a 44mm nut width. As does my 1981 Greco EGC1000.

jacco said:
My current and former 1980 Greco EGF1800 both have a 44mm nut width. As does my 1981 Greco EGC1000.

I'll check the EGF-850 again. Could be the 100 yen shop calipers I am using.

Width of the neck at the nut including binding is 1-5/8" (sorry guys, can find my metric feeler rule)

Played the Classic a bit last nite with the 10's on it and I've got to tell you, it sounds pretty **** good right out of the box. Clear, non boomy neck pickup, snarly and not even close to shrill bridge pickup and the middle position gives me that great out of phase, honky T Bone / Peter Greenish type of tone. Also, the pickups are very nicely balanced to one another.... I don't need to roll the neck down much at all when switching between the two.

But as Mitch said in his earler posts, this big fat neck is going to take some getting used to - particularly down near the nut. I don't have huge hands and I cramped up a little. No biggie though... I'll get used to it. The funny thing is that after playing the Classic, my Tokai 54 goldtop neck feels tiny and lightning fast.... and it's a pretty chunky neck too.

Gonna go get the LS150 out of storage for the side by side today or tomorrow.

wulfman said:
jacco said:

I'll check the EGF-850 again. Could be the 100 yen shop calipers I am using.

They might not all be the same width?

marcusnieman said:
Width of the neck at the nut including binding is 1-5/8" (sorry guys, can find my metric feeler rule)...

That's 41.5mm or standard Fender width, so yeah that's definitely narrower than a Gibson LP or one of Jacco's Super Reals. :)

So I think I'm going to do a Duke with a solid black top and cream binding with wood back and sides like the standard but I'm gonna do dots instead of blocks. Like a Jr. Should be a one of a kind guitar. And I'm going to do 44mm nut I think.

Back