Aight gents and gals

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koubayashi said:
duff said:
Koubayashi said:
335s are made from maple veneer.

The neck has a thick plywood layer.
And its not mahogany plywood :wink:

However, you cannot compare the construction of a solid guitar and a semi-hollow/hollow.

If you think plywood or not doesn't matter you can save a lot of money by buying Sigma LPs! They are like 25? and all made from the cheapest plywood. Which of course doesn't matter for the tone and the sound :D

could u show me a picture of the plywood on the neck. The picture above looks like mahogany. Would be the first time i saw that on a guitar.
And i wasn't comparing the construction on solid vs hollow. All i said is maple veneer=plywood. Please leave the smart *** comments. We were talking about the headstock. If i can hear the difference between 1 or 4 layers of veneer on a headstock, thats great for u. However, i can not.

duff said:
Koubayashi said:
duff said:
Koubayashi said:
335s are made from maple veneer.

The neck has a thick plywood layer.
And its not mahogany plywood :wink:

However, you cannot compare the construction of a solid guitar and a semi-hollow/hollow.

If you think plywood or not doesn't matter you can save a lot of money by buying Sigma LPs! They are like 25? and all made from the cheapest plywood. Which of course doesn't matter for the tone and the sound :D

could u show me a picture of the plywood on the neck. The picture above looks like mahogany. Would be the first time i saw that on a guitar.
And i wasn't comparing the construction on solid vs hollow. All i said is maple veneer=plywood. Please leave the smart *** comments. We were talking about the headstock. If i can hear the difference between 1 or 4 layers of veneer on a headstock, thats great for u. However, i can not.

If you go back in the thread you will see what it is about.

Oh, about the sustain. On tdpri someone build a plywood guitar, just a block, screwed on a tele neck and bridge. That thing sustained for days. Didn't sound so great though. Sustain certainly isn't about tenons.

Koubayashi said:
so again,only plywood on the headstock, not under the fretboard?
I think u misunderstood me then, i was asking about the neck, not the headstock. So far we have 4 ply instead of the usual one ply on a vintage gibson?

duff said:
Koubayashi said:
so again,only plywood on the headstock, not under the fretboard?
I think u misunderstood me then, i was asking about the neck, not the headstock. So far we have 4 ply instead of the usual one ply on a vintage gibson?

It also depends on the material.
If I wanted a guitar with IKEA-pressed wood in it I would buy an IKEA desk and build a guitar :D

The plywood is alright as long as it is made from proper wood which isn't the case on this Burny.

duff said:
Oh, about the sustain. On tdpri someone build a plywood guitar, just a block, screwed on a tele neck and bridge. That thing sustained for days. Didn't sound so great though. Sustain certainly isn't about tenons.

It also helps to sink the anchors for the stringholder and the bridge.

However, I think that the 2mm on each side of the neck has an impact on the sound and the tone.
For some reason the Japanese Juniors are tight as hxxl in the neck pocket.
And I also know from performing my own blind test that they sound nearly as good as the real 50s and better than contemporary Gibson Stds or Fds.

I think Duff's point is that the only ply-wood on the guitar is the headstock facia, which I have to agree is probably not going to effect the tone of the guitar at all.

Koubayashi said:
duff said:

However, I think that the 2mm on each side of the neck has an impact on the sound and the tone.
And I also know from performing my own blind test that they sound nearly as good as the real 50s and better than contemporary Gibson Stds or Fds.

that guitar was actually made from an ikea closet :) it was made as an experiment and everyone was shocked it sustained like that. Some great sounding 50's tele's have huge gaps between neck and body. I prefer a tight neck pocket, because it shows craftmanship, but i don't believe it has anything to do with sustain. Try it. Place some wood in there to close the gap. Btw, are u comparing juniors to standards and fenders in blind tests? Apples and oranges?

JohnA said:
I think Duff's point is that the only ply-wood on the guitar is the headstock facia, which I have to agree is probably not going to effect the tone of the guitar at all.

Yes, that is the only area were I found plywood (so far).
It might affect a bit considering that the pegs go through the head but I don't think it is within the range of the human ear.

duff said:
Koubayashi said:
duff said:

that guitar was actually made from an ikea closet :) it was made as an experiment and everyone was shocked it sustained like that. Some great sounding 50's tele's have huge gaps between neck and body. I prefer a tight neck pocket, because it shows craftmanship, but i don't believe it has anything to do with sustain. Try it. Place some wood in there to close the gap. Btw, are u comparing juniors to standards and fenders in blind tests? Apples and oranges?

No, the test was made with a -58 JR, a Greco MC -85 JR and a Gib JR -02.

My friends Broadcaster can fit a credit card between the neck and the body :D
And I recently saw a 52 TL that also could fit a credit card.
However, the "problem" can be solved. Last weekend I was seconds from buying a -57 TL and it was so dirty that the gap between the neck and the body was filled with dirt :D (**** irritating I missed that one only cause I went to consult a friend of mine to get a second opinion.....but I saved 6000? :D ).

Koubayashi said:
Yo Udo!
I was being sarcastic about the glue part :wink:

For the rest I would appreciate some form of tangible "evidence".

Haha OK good! You had me worried there mate. Which other parts would you like evidence of?

Latest posts

Back