AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHH!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny73

Reaction score
:evil:

Getting really narked with the tuning issues on my ls 85 (i think)

Over the last couple of gigs its got progressively worse and i have ended up playing three shows this weekend with my old epiphone les paul custom.

Whats happening is that when trying to tune the thing it never EVER goes bang on in tune on my boss stage tuner, it faffs around either sharp or flat and you can never get it bang on, the epi, on the other hand goes straight to perfect tune and stays there all night. the bottom e keeps jumping out of th ebridge saddle and last night when playing some clean stuff anything played on the bottom e sounded like a wet fart!. I could put up with the e string being twitchy and being sticky in the nut groove, but this is so bad, i cant and dont want to use the bloody thing

Also the toggle switch is cacked. It crackles/frequently just cuts out, is this a common problem and what should i replace it with?

HELP ME SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE :( :(

your high e string is probably "sitaring", most likely your problem is at the nut or bridge.

And that guitar looks like it could use a proper setup, which I believe is a must on all guitars when new, and after each string change (at least it should be checked with new strings).

The solution to your problem (which is common to many guitars) is get a proper setup done, and if possible upgrade the electronics (switchcraft has a long shaft switch that ought to work beautifully in your tokai)

good luck

Cheers Bruno

I have had it set up about 4 months ago, but its been twitchy from the word go really, (had it about 12 months now). I'll let the tech at my shop have another look at it, but it starts getting pricey!!!!

when you say "sitaring" what exactly causes that?

Jon

Sounds like there is too shallow a break angle over the bridge. The tail stop could be to high and the bridge to low. Get a set up! this could have been done to match too shallow a neck angle!

I'm not too fond of shop techs, when I can't sort the problem myself I much rather take the guitar to a trusty luthier... in my experience techs take money and do a very poor (if any) job! I've seen this happen lots of times.

Sitaring can be caused, by not so well threaded/defective saddles, not properly cut nut... etc.

break angle over the bridge or at the nut can also cause tunning problems, in case you can't sort those things, I advise you to go to a luthier you trust, ask people who you know that play, sometimes a name pops out... I truly avoid putting my guitars in the hands of shop techs. (no offense to all the shop techs out there, I just happen to have seen many people have bad experiences, and I too had a couple a long time ago)

Hi!
The toggle switch problem is very common, but there is no need to replace it! (other toggle switches have the same problems) Put it out of your guitar, and give it a drop of "DeOxit" (Caig - that?s what I use and that works perfect / also for pots etc.) or another good contact cleaning thing (sorry for my english) and it will work for years! I also use Caig ProGold after cleaning with DeOxit! (that?s the first thing I do with Tokais!)
Saddle: Go and get yourself some good weapon oil, and always (when you changed strings) give a little drop of that oil to the main problem points! That works fine!
good on ya, "ACY"

Also there's the old graphite pencil trick...

get one, and pass it (so there is some graphite in the surface) on the nut slots...

Get Dan Erlevine's books from Amazon.com You get two for the price of one

Do his setup tricks, bridge, nut etc & you'll have a wonderfully easy playing guitar

It just sounds like an easy fine tune of your bridge & nut, start polishing the slots with wet & dry 300, go up in grit, finish with 1000, prob take you 1 hr to do the lot, dont forget the pencil shavings (graphite) in the slots & gooves,
NO MORE JUMPING!!!!! smooth as a .......... :lol:

Back