A little help with a post-strat-headstock Fernandes "st

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gone Fission

Reaction score
I tried at another forum or two without much results. I gather the interests hear are more to the so-called "lawsuit models," but maybe this is within the expertise of this board.

I picked up a Fernandes strat copy for super cheap. Getting lots of indication that it isn't a primo version, but it does show promise anyway.

Neck is 21 fret maple-on-maple, flat-feeling radius, no skunk stripe, body-adjust truss rod with an allen-head rather than a Philips head. Single vintage-type string tree. Schaller-looking sealed tuners, no brand. The decal is Black-edged gold letters, bigger F, with "electric sound research group" in small all-cap black letters underneath. (A wringer for the 1987-1996/1997 headstock on the eBay guide, except the tuners.) No serial number or origin marked on the neck.

50's sunburst body, 4-piece, solid wood. Humbucker-sized route for the neck pickup, separated swimming-pool route for middle and bridge. Ground wire to the trem claw goes through an overly-wide hole drilled straight down from the bridge pickup cavity down to the trem cavity. The trem cavity is routed a little deeper for the claw.

The pickguard is single ply, nicely aged looking, 8-screw. The pickups are ceramic mag. The wiring is with ridiculously thin little wires. The pots are full-sized, labeled SH (Song Huei?).

Trem is vintage style six screw. No writing on the folded saddles. The sustain block barely deserves the name -- it looks like it was carved down to half width except at where the bar screws in. Looks very unlike the tapered Gotoh I had in a strat a while back.

Neck bolt-on plate is engraved "Fernandes" but nothing else.

Neck pocket is stamped LEX and a date stamp with blurs -- looks like **95*8 7.

Can anyone narrow anything down for me? Thanks!

Back