A good first Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looktoyourorb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in need of your knowledge. I want to buy my first LP style Tokai with gibbo style headstock and here's the dilemma:

- LS70: I love the flame top and 2 piece back but some people seem to think that the laminate sycamore top is not so good in terms of sustain or general sound.

- LS60: I love the fact it has a solid maple top but in that case I can kiss the flame top goodbye and have a 3 piece mahogany back (correct me if I'm wrong). I would pick the black model.

- LC models: I only want a black Custom model. I do appreciate that Tokai builds these with a mahogany back and top but it looks like they only have the wine red finish and the headstock inlays are not H type.
I do want mahogany so I do not want the lesser model with a basswood body.

Choices...which one would be the best bet for a first tokai?

I do not want to get a solid flame top one as my budget has to stay within reasonable limits (1st daughter just born).

Thanks for your help/opinion/experience.

Oli

The difference with the flame veneer is generally agreed to be minimal.

The wine LC is all mahogany, but the black/white ones are mahogany/maple.

My advice would be to find a dealer and play everything they stock until you find something you like - then buy it.

I think I would go for an old LS-60 in plain black...don't think you can go wrong with this one. And if I love the feel of the Tokai LS and want a fancy top I can always wait and buy another one later (LS-200 or something in this range as long as it has a solid top).

Either of these would be a nice addition to my Yam SG2000S and my Ibz Ghostrider GR520. (both in cherry burst...both fantastic).

Oli

You would not be dissapointed with a veneer top, soundwise. The new ones have a sycamore veneer which strikes me as a little "sterile" looking as far as authentic looking flame goes, but the older ones have a true maple veneer.

You are not going to notice a difference with the veneered flame or quilted top...I have one of each, and they sound great...they do have solid maple tops, just with the flame veneer glued to the top...

Speaking personally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an LS70 F.

Those people who witter on about a veneer affecting the tonal qualities of a guitar are talking out of their collective behind's. Fact is, that my LS70 sounded so much better than the LP Studio I owned at the time, I sold it cos I never used it, the LS70 simply blew it out of the water. Brand snobbery is all it is.

The guitar is still a mahogany body (albeit 2 piece's), with a plain maple cap and a mahogany neck. OK, it isn't finished in nitro-cellulose, it's in inferior poly, but hey, does anyone bemoan their ?3k+ PRS Fanglywangly because it's not finished in nitro-cellulose? Erm, no.

The LS60's just the same, except without the veneer capping.

The higher end LC's are cool, but beware the lower end Japanese models, as the body is basswood (an LC60 if I remember rightly, used to own one before the LS70). Don't get me wrong, they sound good, and feel almost right, but if you aren't careful, someone'll try it on.

Once you get the overdrive a-flowing (especially for those Monster Magnet songs) they'll never tell the difference.

Nice to meet another Magnet fan, I saw them last december in London.

Thanks for your comments on the LS-70F guys, it is a truelly stunning guitar in all finishes. The veneer cap does not bother me as it adds tons of good looks, I was just concerned about the sustain and sound but if you say it can't be noticed then fair enough...

If I get one of these, honey burst is the way to go for me (as I already have 2 cherry burst guitars).

Thanks for your help.

Novosel said:
You would not be dissapointed with a veneer top, soundwise. The new ones have a sycamore veneer which strikes me as a little "sterile" looking as far as authentic looking flame goes, but the older ones have a true maple veneer.

I think I know where you're coming from when you describe the 'sterile' look of the new Tokai tops. They are all very much alike indeed. However, I don't think this is completely due to the use of sycamore (which, to my best knowledge, is a maple species - so the top is maple). As you can see here, it can look very alive and beautiful (in my opinion).

Anyway, a while ago there was a thread on the Les Paul Forum which showed the difference between quartersawn and flatsawn wood. Now, I'm not into woodworking, but some pictures showed that either one of those was associated with the tight, thin and 'uniform' tiger stripe look of the new LS80F's (a bit like this), whereas the other would make the same piece of wood look like lush, wavy and watery (for lack of a better description, perhaps a bit like this)..

Of course, there's also the grade of the wood that determines how figured it is, but it was striking to see the differences in look between the two ways of sawing the wood.

Oh and looktoyourorb: I have to agree with all the others; the veneer has no noticeable effect on tone.

My biggest problem now is my love for black & honeyburst flamed Les Paul...

I know I will have to get one of each as soon as the tons of gear I have for sale are gone.

I'll probably get in touch with you guys to check if somebody has a black LS-60 for sale in the UK.

Oli

PS: 13 years of GAS and still at it...innit sad?

ArthurS,
Don't forget that the LS80F used to be the LS70F, until inflation decreed that it became the LS80F, so that explains the "uniform 'sterile' tiger stripe". It's that sycamore veneer making another appearance.

looktoyourorb,
Yeah, love Magnet, only seen them a couple of times, first was way back on the "Superjudge" tour, then again on the "God Says No" tour (when they supported QOTSA), excellent rock n roll band. Ed Mundell rules! ;)

Good luck in finding a suitable Love Rock, I've got one, and sold two, but I'm still hankering after some more (just don't tell the wife!). GAS is a never ending afflication, for which, there is no cure!

Agree with all the above, but just repeat my usual warning re solid colours (eg black) hiding use of second choice wood (eg extra sections plus flaws & filler etc) ? though I doubt if it makes the slightest difference to the tone. Ditto a veneered top ? no problem with tone ? but just costs more for fancy looking top (again ... bits underneath maybe less than perfect).

Personally I?d buy an old Love Rock (eg pre 85), or better still a Reborn or Reborn Old, but I always say that :lol: .

Ian.
Ps:- back construction often very tricky to spot, but my experience ? old LS60 usually has 2-piece back & 1 piece neck, but sometimes 3-piece back & sometimes looks like 1-piece (can?t find join), ? neck sometimes 2-piece because of additional small section at heel. Pre 1980 LS80 is cracking guitar, if you can find one at reasonable price :-? .

Here's the one you want. I was temped but still holding out for the Gold Top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3749578843

Ned

Well, there you go (Ned?s link) ? 1979 Reborn LS50, hard to beat that, very desirable guitar. Think the sale is from someone on this forum (not me!) ? need to ask the usual questions re fret wear, original parts, no breaks/repairs & all functioning OK etc., but looks good 8) .

Ian.

Yep..I have to admit it does look good. I'm sure the all round quality and spec are better than the modern LS-60 and the condition looks great apart from the usual tear and wear.

Now I need to sell my gear pronto! Anybody want a nice Gibson??? LOL

FYI the shipment to the UK is fairly cheap at around 120$.

:eek: Being an old man {50} I must pass on what I have learned! Don't sell what you got to get what you want! You will miss what you give up! If you sell one to by one you end up with One! Two or more is a far better way to live! :wink: TG

I can sell a few guitars...I have 12 of them for the moment:

Fender US series ash tele
Fender Jap Tele custom
Fender Jap Tele 50's
Fender Jap Reissue 50's x 2
Fender Jap Standard
Gibson Lp Smartwood
Guild S300D 1979
Ibanez Ghostrider GR520
Yamaha SG2000S 1980
Yamaha AES 820 Drop 6
Lakewood D-1 Acoustic

I need to make some room and treat myself to a Tokai Lester.

Back