'84 Custom humbucker sized p90's ????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoes

Reaction score
I just bought a old '84 greco custom off wulfman, it has a rosewood fretboard, unlike most customs i'm used to seeing around. Anyway i bought it without the Dry82 pickups, not that i don't believe they are good pickups, more of a money thing, and the fact that i already have a LS-150. I'm thinking of dropping some humbucker sized p90's into this one when it arrives in about a month, maybe some Harmonic Design Z 90s but i really haven't decided yet. I really like the sound of P90's and i already have humbuckers in the LS-150 so i'm hoping it will be a nice change from one to the other.

This will be my first Greco Les Paul type guitar, i suppose '84 makes it a mint collection, correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not any kind of expert. Does anyone see any problems with my idea or should the new ones fit like a glove ? Like i said it will take about a month for it to get to me so there's no rush, i just don't want to buy some new pups and have them not fit because of something i can't concieve of due to lack of knowledge about Greco guitars.

Any suggestions about personal preferences of pickup choices are also welcome.

Thanks.

Congrats on the guitar. Wulfman is a great seller and you won't be disappointed in the Greco.

As for humbucker sized P90s, I would highly recommend the Tonerider Rebel 90s. Great P90 sound in a humbucker size. Alnico II magnets. Great pickups. Not expensive either.

Thanks for the recommendations and the congrats on the git. Yes, i've bought from wulfman before, he's a great seller and a great guy to deal with. Win/win. I live in Canada and we don't have a tonerider dealer in this country (boo), i have a great pickupwinder who lives in the next city to me who i would rather give my money to, but he doesn't do humbucker sized p-90's yet. I'll keep a look out on ebay etc. To tell you the truth i'm a bit boggled by all the choices.

Thanks again for your input.

I see them on ebay every now and then. Here's a set but it's in Greece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonerider-Rebel-90-Pickup-Set-R90-plus-Free-Orange-Drop-Cap-0-022uF-600V-/180839257390?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a1adc152e

Thanks Marcus for the input, these pickups seem to be more or less what i'm after and priced quite nicely too, glad to hear that some people here speak highly of them. I think i'm gonna wait till the guitar arrives so i can check out what pots and caps it has first, it will be awhile so i'll do a little more research into them/other brands and keep my eyes open around for deals.

I'm thinking about buying a set of the Tonerider Alnico IV humbuckers to try out. I bought a set of the vintage single coils and put them in my 78 Springy.... love em. Big fan of Tonerider and their cost.

Thanks all, i decided to give the rebel 90's a go, specs were on the money and so was the price. Thanks again for the advice.

Back