'81 Silver Star SS?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diodibuh said:
tnx, stratman for suggestions. what about bare knuckle?

Since this thread has been recently referred to, I'll answer this - rather later than expected. I have a set of BK Slow Hand Strat pickups, & they're just about the darkest sounding Strat pickups I've ever heard! The make Yutas sound a bit on the thin side... :lol:

They're probably the opposite extreme to Es. Powerful, very warm & fat, & I have yet to make up my mind how much I like them. Hope this helps a little.

cheshirecatsmile said:
Are you sure thats a ss80,she have a bonenut and the two original pups have a gray bottom.
Is there another model between the ss50 and the ss80?
The ss60 is a late '60 model from my understanding.

I'd guess SS-60 from a quick look. You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80. I have an SS-50 with grey backed pickups (no stamp, but staggered-pole)--not sure what SS-60s are supposed to have but that could be the same.

Does the SS-80 model have a steel trem block

Both of mine (1979 and 1982) have diecast blocks reading MIJ

Nice looking guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

:)

Hi,
How can you test to see if it is Nitro? And I thought that at that time it was not allowed to spray that finish in Japan?
Cheers

marcusnieman said:
Diodibuh said:
cheshirecatsmile said:
You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80.

how can you do that?

Acetone with a Q tip in the body cavity. Nitro will dissolve, poly wont

This should answer the most recent question. The info. was in the thread all along.

:wink:

I had a set of Kent Armstrongs (various models) in the SS60 for a while, but they didn't really do much for me. They just lacked something. Then I dug out an old set of Seymour Duncans from the mid 1980s, 2 Vintages & 1 Alnico II for the bridge. Now the SS60 is one of my favourite guitars. :p The pickups just seem to work - they are bright enough to cope with the brass bridge saddles on the SS60 - I think maybe Yutas (or whatever the **** Bacchus pickups are called) would be too dark for this guitar.

So that's my top tip - get yourself a set of Duncans, nearly as old as the guitar, and you're sorted. 8) This is a really nice Strat, & it's forced me to overcome my prejudice about the large headstock.

IMG_0623.jpg

I know what you mean. For years I preferred LPB or CAR, but white is edging ahead - it just always looks so good. 8)

Back