80's METAL GODS..!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozeshin

Reaction score
KK men..lets see your 80's pics...I KNOW that you've all get 'em even if you deny your 80's period(Mike?).
I'll start the ball rolling:
rockgod4.jpg

The guy in the center on Bass is the current bass player for Rose Tattoo..Stephen King.

rockgod2.jpg

rockgod3.jpg

See the paintwork that Strat?
It was originally a Powder blue MiJ Fender
Did I mention I was a frontman all through the 80's? :wink:

I never did the 80's thing... didn't have big enough hair and the tights were um, too tight. I didn't really like the music in the 80's

Trying to remember who listened to..... in part:

The Cars
J Geils
The Police
The Clash
Tom Petty
The Tubes
Eddie Money
Greg Kihn

Mullets, metal and hard core from the 80s were all trashy - the 70s were so much better. :wink:

marcusnieman said:
I never did the 80's thing... didn't have big enough hair and the tights were um, too tight. I didn't really like the music in the 80's

Trying to remember who listened to..... in part:

The Cars
J Geils
The Police
The Clash
Tom Petty
The Tubes
Eddie Money
Greg Kihn

Great choices - being from Boston, the first 2 bands were obviously very popular. Eliot Easton is a very gifted player and J Geils got a little boring towards the end - the last time I saw them Nils Lofgren opened for them in some arena and we walked out about 20 minutes into J Geil's set. We didn't pay for the tickets. There was a fight by the front door and during the confusion a bunch of us rushed the door and got in free. The Tubes were outrageous live. I saw them in a 300 seat theater right before their first LP came out and I was floored. WPOD!

cashcow said:
Mullets, metal and hard core from the 80s were all trashy - the 70s were so much better. :wink:
I wouldn't say BETTER but the 80's music evolved from the 70's music.
Hell..most of us come from the Free/deep purple/Cream/Borderline Psychedelia era of the 70's and the only way to evolve from that was to get louder...the mullets were just a mistake :roll:
And for what it's worth I was into The Cars,Tubes etc etc as well...in fact to expect that someone only likes 1 certain type of music is kinda insulting..!!!

Actually it was exciting playing in the 80's, guitars were being explored to there limits and new music was being born, just like the 50's, 60's, 70's and so on..... :wink:

Mick

In 1980 The Fabulous Thunderbirds came to the UK (support band for Dave Edmunds band Rockpile). I thought they were the coolest band I'd ever seen, & nothing has yet changed my mind about that. Jimmie Vaughan is easily the coolest guitarist I've ever seen.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviIu2YqVyg

So the whole long hair & spandex thing left me absolutely cold....

Mike

it was at the end of the eightees, but we were not eightees hair metal band, more into funky/core/something ;)
7.jpg

I was really young ;)
guitar - Cort something, I don't remember the model

Ozeshin said:
cashcow said:
I wouldn't say BETTER but the 80's music evolved from the 70's music.
Hell..most of us come from the Free/deep purple/Cream/Borderline Psychedelia era of the 70's and the only way to evolve from that was to get louder...the mullets were just a mistake :roll:
And for what it's worth I was into The Cars,Tubes etc etc as well...in fact to expect that someone only likes 1 certain type of music is kinda insulting..!!!

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. Personally, I would say the 70s were more exciting than the 80s for me and that some of the 80s stuff did evolve from the 70s, just like some stuff from the 70s evolved from the 60s. A lot of people do only like one type of music, which is cool. 80s hair metal bands wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for 70s bands like the NY Dolls or T Rex or Kiss :oops: to a lesser extent.

leadguitar_323 said:
in fact to expect that someone only likes 1 certain type of music is kinda insulting..!!!

I likes 2 types of music, "country AND western"........ :p {add southern drawl where appropriate} :wink:

Mick

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses

leadguitar_323 said:
C'mon Marcus, you must have had a mullet at some stage..... :p
The tights weren't my thing either.... :eek:

Mick

Long hair but no mullet. I grew up in the 60's, 70's and after that era of music (except for the disco craze), I was lost in the 80's...... as was the music IMHO. It was more substance than content - big hair, makeup, and lots of posing.

I just couldn't call bands like Poison, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Slayer, Winger, and the like, innovative..... but that ilk was getting the air time on the radio and on MTV.

i love 80s metal, but i was too young and missed it the first time round... :( EDIT: nice pics :lol: glad i missed the "fashions"... :-?

Dave_Mc said:
i love 80s metal, but i was too young and missed it the first time round... :( EDIT: nice pics :lol: glad i missed the "fashions"... :-?
Well you're gonna love the cd I'm recording with an 18 year old guy from the Uni where I work.
Like yourself he missed the 80's but it's his favorite music is 80's hair metal...his room is covered in Bon Jovi posters etc...lol.
He's a PRO TOOLS wiz and we've got five songs written and in the progres of recording. :D

Here I am in June 1982 at 21 years of age, with my humbucking equipped boat anchor Strat, doing my Van Halen wanna B routine :lol:

my sister dropped by that afternoon & asked if she could snap some pics while I practiced ........... and I said, "hey, wanna smoke one?" :D

this is the old 'party room' at one of my old friend's Mom & Dads' place; I lived in this room for 13 months after his parents moved away to their lake home

from the mid 1970s to the late 1980s, there were more drugs consumed in this one room than were ever produced in history :lol:

I remember I burned up a Scholz Power Soak in three days on this rig :p

LOL, June 1982 = what a geek :roll:
1982June.jpg

............ fast forward to 1995 ......... still a geek :lol: ................
PlayGuitar1995-1.jpg

A Bacchus geek is a good thing to be Rich. Is that the same strat in both photos? Nice aging of the finish if it is.

I'm still in awe of Oze's be-spandexed mulletude :eek: :eek: :eek:

Love the guitarist's leg-warmers too!

I'm too young for dodgy 80s photos I'm afraid.

yes, the same Strat; a 1979 serial # that I purchased NEW for my 20th B-day, in 1981 ..............

........ was my main electric from 1981 until about 1996 & went thru' a toooooooon of pickup changes .........

Latest posts

Back