7okai st -80 tsb on rinkya,anyone ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Hello thought i would give the heads up on this 7okai st-80 that has just been put up on yahoo.japan( thursday 18:20 gmt)
Starting at 30,000yen(211 UK POUNDS) with a BIN at(492.00uk pounds)

unknown_00132000-img600x450-1255011.jpg
unknown_00132000-img600x450-1255-1.jpg

unknown_00132000-img600x450-1255-2.jpg

It is f***ing beautiful,jaw-dropping,stunning,look at the patinta and the ageing,I want it ?but i have just dropped 38,000yen on two silver stars from japan,why could this not show up a few days ago?god **** it!

With shipping to u.k about 75 quid and then vat and duty that adds up to
just a bit under 700 pounds if you buy it now,which makes it quite expensive,
http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/unknown_00132000/lst?&.dir=/552a&.src=ph&.view=t
what price do they usally go for~never seen one for sale?
http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w43763564
\EDIT:just been on japanguitars.co.uk,and at the BIN price & shipping/vat/duty,it is cheap and you can save a few quid if you get it from japan :lol:

Only a one day auction,so be quick?

MOJO HOBO

I think that if you plan to buy through rinkya, that will be a bit more than your estimate, minimum of $55 for the fees (according to their faq may be more) and with 25% on top of the actual shipping that may be more than your 75 gbp.

BTW a bit off topic, does Rinkya bill in USD with their own exchange rate that is updated on the main page?

I paid ?750 for my ST80 nearly 2 years ago, & I wouldn't let it go unless I got more than that for it. Not that I have any intention of selling it!

Have a look at villager's website, he usually has some ST80s in stock, & that will give you an idea of what you would have to pay for one in Europe.

Mike

atha said:
I think that if you plan to buy through rinkya, that will be a bit more than your estimate, minimum of $55 for the fees (according to their faq may be more) and with 25% on top of the actual shipping that may be more than your 75 gbp.

BTW a bit off topic, does Rinkya bill in USD with their own exchange rate that is updated on the main page?

You are right, shipping works out at closer to ?100, and yes Rinkya bill in $US calculated at their rate with is normally a few Yen to the $ less than the published rate, if you are paying in ?'s then you lose again with your banks conversion rate. At the starting price it's an abolute steal though!

Yes,rinkya have there own exchange rate,i have never seen it go above 88yen=$1.00,sometimes drops to 87yen=$1.00.

My figures for buying that springy was a rough estimate,yes it might cost more ,but not much more.
Around 80 u.k pounds for a parcel @6kg airmail ems,a average strat,should come in at less than 4kg,so with packing should not be that much over 6kg,maybe a few grams.Be carefull if it comes with a hard case,these add significant weight to the overall ship price.
When i buy a guitar form rinkya i always add 20% to the price ,this works out quite close to the overall price!
So BIN @70,000,00 yen+12400yen shipping=6.5kg+4905yen@rinkya fees=87300 yen+20%u.k vat/duty=104760yen=736.49 u.k pounds or $1174.63 if exchange rate is 89yen=$1.00,

So was not that far out for a rough guide,yes :) if i have something wrong plaese correct me.

I have brought four guitars from rinkya and only got a nasty surprise when you add the cost of shipping a guitar in a hard case,it really nearly doubled the shipping cost,especially if is a gibson lp case. :cry:

Back to the 7okai st-80, no bids yet only 1 day left,need to go away fot the weekend somewhere i can not get a the evil internet on my laptop :eek:r it might be heading to my house.

MOJO HOBO

downside,...

pickups replaced, switch replaced, saddles non-original, repair, or finish damage on the neck, no logo,

upside..

fair price..nice graining..

if you wanted to get it back to original it would be at least another 100-150 quid..

Thanks villager,
I feel very humble and thanks for giving the st-80 a look over,I have a lot to learn,Still learning and being impatience.
Think the downside for me, is the pickups,not being original.If i could find original replacement parts ,i would be even more interested,especially if no bids come in tomorrow morning.
WHAT IS THE NECK REPAIR /REFINISH;
I can see a slight discolouring on the side of the neck from 1st fret to 5th fret,any idea what ?

Thanks for posting and informing us of the flipside!

mojo hobo

mojo hobo said:
Think the downside for me, is the pickups,not being original.

Have you tried the E pickups? They're a bit controversial, some people (usually clean tone players) love them, the rest of us find them weak, shrill & rather brittle. The best thing I ever did to my ST80 was replace the pickups.

THANKS AGAIN,
mmmm! yes risk! that is what i find addictive,you never know really know what you are buying ,when buying from a distance,pictures can only tell help to a certain extent and ask questions if you can!
I have made some good buys with all the information and help available from forum members.I have yet to buy a duffer.

I am right in saying that this 1980 st-80 should have E-type pickups,how often do these come up for sale,because there is a set for sale on rinkya as well,currently at under 7000yen, mmm!

mojo hobo

YES STRATMAN323,
I have read a lot of the posts about e-type pickups,most owners change them.

I have a 1983 st-50 springy and love the sound that guitar makes,I think they are u pickups,please correct me if i am wrong,i have never taken my first guitar apart.which this springy was,i got it in 1983.

How do they compare to thg st-50 pickups.

MOJO HOBO

Well i am getting really tempted by this one!I tried to translate the sellers text and what i can make out,is that only one bridge saddle has been swapped,the high e string.
No explanation about neck damage and what pickups are fitted?

Anybody have any idea what pickups these might be!

I would have a go at this one,but i have just brought two silver stars and a greco se-500, :cry: I would have to offload one of these and my k-orville.

FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE! OR A FOOL!

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
I have a 1983 st-50 springy and love the sound that guitar makes,I think they are u pickups,please correct me if i am wrong,i have never taken my first guitar apart.which this springy was,i got it in 1983.

How do they compare to thg st-50 pickups.

A 1983 ST50 should have Us, yes, though you can never be certain with Tokai - it might be an idea to look next time you restring it.

From the examples I have tried, the Us are the most powerful (6.1 to 6.2k), then the V1s (5.8 to 5.9k), then the Es (5.5 to 5.6k), though other forum members have reported Es that read higher than the one's I've measured. The Es have the most top end & the least mid, the Us are the opposite, though even the Us are a bit bright & thin sounding compared to most replacement pickups (Seymour Duncans, Voodoos etc.).

Put it this way, even a humble ST50 is easily good enough to be a good match for just about any boutique Strat pickup you might want to put in it, so that obviously applies to an ST80 as well. If you like the Tokai pickups, cool, but a typical Tokai Strat will be a great guitar with any decent pickups in it. So I personally wouldn't worry too much if one doesn't have the original pickups - assuming it's to play, not as a collector's piece.

mojo hobo said:
Anybody have any idea what pickups these might be!

They do look like Tokai pickups, maybe Tokai just forgot to stamp a batch of them? It certainly seems that way on my all-original black Goldstar ST50:

125_2533.jpg

They read about the same as Us, & they sound like Us, they just don't have the stamp. Maybe it was the same with the ones in the ST80 you're looking at?

Fair enough stratman323,
Thanks for the detailed differences between tokai pickups,Yes,I would play it! and yes! it would be a collection piece as well,I try and play at least a hour a day even if just noodling :eek:

I am not in a band,did that in the early eighties,I stopped playing for 15 years ,but at this time last year i was unwell,kidneys packed in,when i was ill at home recovering i got my tokai out,which had been sitting in the case in a cupboard for 15 years,I have never looked back and my attitude has changed towards life,sorry getting too heavy,but time is counting down,enjoy it ,since my illness i do want i want ,when i want and never worry about minor things, I love buying and playing guitars.AMEN.
Some of them are an investment ?

The pickups on my st-50 s what i really love,bell like but still have a warmth ,a low end grunt,so maybe the E-s by your discription, i will find too thin and brittle,not such a problem then ,the pups :p

MOJO HOBO

UPDATE!
Oh WELL!it sold for auction to some bidder which jumped in the bidding with 7 minutes till the end,finally sold for 53000 YEN(372.00ukp)
I would had a bid if stayed under 45000yen,but alas not my day!

UPDATE!
Looks like something was not quite right with the auction,the bidder that won( possibly a friend of the seller,pushing the price up?) has withdrawn,so it is back up for auction again.
I may be wrong on the above,maybe something wrong with the guitar,maybe,but i am pretty sure this is what went on!it was relisted early this morning.

This a warning to anyone thinking of buying through rinkya or yahoo -e-bay stick to your valuation and budget you have for the item?do not get too carried away by the auction.

my two cents :wink: :nice guitar and i will be watching the auction again!

MOJO HOBO

Back