50's wiring for loverock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARAGERAT

Reaction score
I want to rewire my korean loverock NALS-48 like the '59 style wiring I've seen. I am wondering if there will be a difference tonally if I use .022@600VDC tone caps in place of the .022@400VDC like gibson used. Lots of NOS .022@600VDC Sprague Black Beauties available on the net. I figure it's better to use NOS caps with the right capacitance and a little higher voltage rating, rather than used caps. Also, does anyone know if these korean loverocks use the long shaft pots or should I just pull 'em before I order pots and measure? Anything else important to know about the rewire? Thanks.

Hi,

look at the page of our forum mate from Finland ...

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

... it's one of the best pages I have seen concerning the '50s wiring. :wink:

You have even a diagram - not only pics.

Concerning the caps, I agree, the nos are a better choice. I have the Mallory or the Hovland guitar caps. Both are my #1 for that wiring. Attention: Not more than 600 - not less than 450!
Concerning the shafts ... You better measure ...

BTW - don't forget to rewire the complete (!!!) electric with single conductor braided shield wires - also the connection from the toggle switch to the pots and from the input jack !! You'll hear the difference! 8)

Roger

GARAGERAT said:
I want to rewire my korean loverock NALS-48 like the '59 style wiring I've seen. I am wondering if there will be a difference tonally if I use .022@600VDC tone caps in place of the .022@400VDC like gibson used.

None at all. For the values involved, the voltage rating is insignificant; either will be fine.

GARAGERAT said:
Lots of NOS .022@600VDC Sprague Black Beauties available on the net. I figure it's better to use NOS caps with the right capacitance and a little higher voltage rating, rather than used caps. .

Beware - old paper/oil caps have a tendency to 'drift' over time and may not operate as rated even as NOS. You'd be better off with something like new Hovlands or, if you're in the UK, Audionotes. To be honest I don't think there's much difference between the high-end caps. Sprague orange drops will sounds pretty much the same as hovlands etc. but are much cheaper. Remember, the tone cap bleeds the signal to ground - you don't actually hear the part of the signal that passes through it which is why most guitar companies get away with using crappy caps!

GARAGERAT said:
Also, does anyone know if these korean loverocks use the long shaft pots or should I just pull 'em before I order pots and measure? Anything else important to know about the rewire? Thanks.

I'd bet my bottom dollar they're short shaft. Be careful here too, because if you're putting CTS pots in they may be too wide for the current holes and may not fit well with your current knobs.

Anything else... CTS pots are a must for any guitar rewiring. Use good quality wire, it does make a difference. Long-threaded Switchcraft switch and a switchcraft jack are also no-brainer upgrades that you should go for.

Back