2001 Tokai Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarr

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the forum and have a few questions about my Tokai.
I bought it used in 2002. It is a Love Rock Model with MM2001 Limited Edition and on the truss rod cover. The serial # on the back of the headstock is 205802. I read a little bit about these on the static site but wanted to get some more detailed information on these guitars. How many were produced? Quality? Original sale price? current Value? are there any common flaws? any info would be great.
Thanks
Justin

jcarr said:
Hi, Im new to the forum and have a few questions about my Tokai.
I bought it used in 2002. It is a Love Rock Model with MM2001 Limited Edition and on the truss rod cover. The serial # on the back of the headstock is 205802. I read a little bit about these on the static site but wanted to get some more detailed information on these guitars. How many were produced? Quality? Original sale price? current Value? are there any common flaws? any info would be great.
Thanks
Justin

I had two of them... a goldtop with P90s and a sunburst with humbuckers.

They are Korean made to Japanese standard Love Rock specs and very good guitars. Not sure how many were made but they were a short production run (3 models) ordered by Mike's Music in Canada (thus the MM2001 on the trussrod cover standing for Mikes Music 2001)

Don't remember what I paid for mine and current value would probably be to a comparable MIJ spec made in 2001.

You don't find these very often..... post some pictures.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTAuanBn.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/justincarr/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDkuanBn.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDguanBn.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/justincarr/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDcuanBn.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/justincarr/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDkuanBn.jpg

These are some from my blackberry. Not sure why they turned out so large. I have not seen another one like it. Anyone know how many may have been produced?

They come from Canada and are Fake, they sold them as a shop special but they were made in Korea at a different factory to the Korean made Tokai's. I sent Tokai a pic of one of these because of research i am doing with Ozeshin for our Fake Tokai site, they replied that it wasn't one of theirs...

Mick

can you explain what the differences are and how you can tell if it is a real Tokai? Did Tokai actually make a Limited Edition series in 2001? This has been an excellent guitar so I have always been looking for another Tokai. What should I be looking for when potentially buying one?
Thanks
Justin

leadguitar_323 said:
They come from Canada and are Fake, they sold them as a shop special but they were made in Korea at a different factory to the Korean made Tokai's. I sent Tokai a pic of one of these because of research i am doing with Ozeshin for our Fake Tokai site, they replied that it wasn't one of theirs...

Mick

Well, that's the first I'd heard of that. In fact, our good old forum still has the 2001 Limited Editions listed in the ID and Dating section.

They did come from Canada as I said - from Mike's Music - who was a legit dealer as I remember.

Fake or not, they were killer guitars.

Hi Marcus, after i posted i went looking and found the reply from Tokai, i will post what it said.

"Dear Mr. Mick xxxxxxx,

We never made such tag for our guitars. The guitar seems to be faked.

Best regards,

Tokai

Originally, i thought that MM in Canada had made their own truss rod cover but i sent detailed pics to Tokai and that was the reply....
Also in the registry is a list of Canadian shops that all sell fakes, the registry is due for an upgrade...

Mick

Latest posts

Back