1985 Love Rock. Is it an LS-60 or LS-80??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not checked out any UK makers yet, are there any you would recommend?

I would give Bare Knuckle a try: http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
You can email Tim or give him a call, he can help you out with choosing the right pups.
I have unpotted Mule's in my LS80; enormous dynamics, rounded and a bit airy vintage PAF tone.

Hi Jacco

Interesting stories about the LS50 and 80, thanks for the links. I have actually been checking out Bare Knuckle recently after doing a bit of Googling. I'm leaning towards maybe getting a set of Mules which seem to be the closest to vintage PAFs, though I like the tone of the Black Dogs also. Hell they all sound good!!

There's an interesting comparison on youtube where some guy (who's a great player) plays two takes of the same song one with Gibbo '57 re-issue PAFs and the other with Bare Knuckle Mules in his (I think) R8. The Mules definitely do it for me compared to the '57 PAFs - more sustain and a creamier more open sound with better definition. The difference is quite noticable.

You have the unpotted versions. Is there much difference in tone between the two? The standard Mules are potted according to the website whereas original PAFs were unpotted.

A friend of mine has 'normal' potted & covered Mules, mine are unpotted & not covered. I tried both in my LS80 and I found the unpotted to have a tad more depth and more sensitive dynamics. And I don't know how he does it; they're absolutely not microphonic, even if I turn up the volume and go stand in front of my speaker cabinet.

Here's a quote by Tim of Bare Knuckle which is very informative:
OK, potted vs unpotted..............well unpotted vintage voiced p/ups sound and respond amazingly, made correctly they're not microphonic either but very 'alive' feeling.Higainers really don't benefit from being unpotted at all as the response is more compressed and the dynamic is totally different but in a vintage style p/up like Stormy Monday or The Mule you get an even more vocal tone and extra bite too...........it's one of those'you need to experience it' type things as the guitar tone is right on the edge and literally alive!
For purists it's the only wayto go but if you're pushing a mega hi gain rig it's not so practical.
All in all very cool but not for everyone.

Back