1985 Love Rock. Is it an LS-60 or LS-80??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilB

Reaction score
Hi

I've recently discovered this forum and what a great forum with loads of really useful information.

I've owned a Love Rock for the last 12 years and didn't really know that much about it other than it was an early to mid 80's version. I wasn't aware that there were so many variations until I read some of the threads on here. So I want to identify which model it is exactly.

Initially I thought it must be an LS-60 as it has a plain top but it has fret edge binding and an 18* headstock which would indicate it's an LS-80 :D

It's a great guitar one of the best I've ever owned. There are a couple of things that bother me about it though, one being the neck inlays which are the nasty looking mother of toilet seat variety rather than the authentic inlays found on earlier examples, and the other thing is the colour - it's a very in your face cherry sunburst which is a bit too strong for my liking. I much prefer a nice teaburst or honeyburst.

Anyway below is a link to a gallery of pictures. What do you guys think?

http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac206/Jungle_Face_Jake/1985%20Tokai%20Love%20Rock/?albumview=slideshow&direction=reverse

Cheers

Phil

That looks pretty nice to me!

And looks like it has a one piece back, so probably it is an LS-80.
1985 was a difficult time for Tokai, they had gone broke, and there were models with specs all over the place. There have been LS-80s seen without fret edge binding and LS-50/60s with bodies made of other woods besides mahogany.

How many pieces is the top? It looks like only a one piece top from the pics! Quite a slim neck as well by the looks? The Registry info suggests that the LS-80 should have a chunky neck, but it's always possible they made some with slimmer necks.

Looks like a one piece back to me too. One piece back & 2 piece top with no figure = LS80. You can check the finish with a little acetone in the pu cavity to see if it's nitro or not. Should be nitro on a LS80.
TRC and tuners don't seem to be original. I have seen this kind of wiring/caps in the control cavity on other LS80s from 1985. At least one pot has been changed though. Pups seem to be original with one cover taken off.

JVsearch said:
1985 was a difficult time for Tokai, they had gone broke, and there were models with specs all over the place.

I have never understood this theory - why did Tokai go broke in 1985? It should have been a good time for Tokai. And why were the Love Rocks affected when the Goldstars don't seem to have been?

Mike

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've always thought it was a one piece back as I've never been able to spot a seam but I know Tokai were very good at hiding them but if it is an LS-80 then it would be one piece. You can't really see it on the pictures but it is a two piece top with centre seam. As far as I know it's all original apart from a replacement pot which was there when I acquired it and a new bone nut which I had done as the original was worn too low and buzzed on the G and B strings.

The previous owner had removed both pick up covers but still had them so I put them both back on then later removed the bridge cover again a la Jimmy Page, but I still have it. Not sure whether I prefer with or without covers? There are no labels on the pups so I'm not sure what they are but according to the registry they should be 57 PAFs so I'm assuming that's what they are?

I'll have to do an acetone test in one of the cavities to check if it's nitro. It's funny though but I've always assumed it was poly as it's very polished looking and shows no signs of checking etc.

At various points I have thought about doing some mods on it such as replacing the inlays, changing the pups, pots and caps and (gasp) having a refin on the top to make it a nice tea/honey burst. Just to try and make it my perfect LP. But thinking about it now, especially as these are becoming increasingly collectable, I'll leave it as it is. It's great as it is anyway :D

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:
1985 was a difficult time for Tokai, they had gone broke, and there were models with specs all over the place.

I have never understood this theory - why did Tokai go broke in 1985? It should have been a good time for Tokai. And why were the Love Rocks affected when the Goldstars don't seem to have been?

Mike

Oh, is it only a theory? I was told they went broke here on this site, so I'm just repeating what I was told. I have no personal knowledge about anything to do with the Tokai Japan company.

However there have been some clear cost cutting measures taken on Love Rocks around this time, which of course you can't do on Fender clones, as they are already built as cheaply as possible... :wink: :lol:

I'm not a huge fan of cherry sunburst LPs either, but that's about as nice as they get. A very sweet, gradual transition - no clownburst. A lot like the colour on a lot of VOS Gibson '58 reissues I've seen pictures of.

Definitely a stunner.

I always enjoy seeing "'85" in the title of a Love Rock post, 'cos you never know what you're going to get. It seems like some real oddballs got made that year. I think they ought to be a very collectable year. I wouldn't mind having one myself :)

JVsearch said:
Oh, is it only a theory? I was told they went broke here on this site, so I'm just repeating what I was told. I have no personal knowledge about anything to do with the Tokai Japan company.

However there have been some clear cost cutting measures taken on Love Rocks around this time, which of course you can't do on Fender clones, as they are already built as cheaply as possible... :wink: :lol:

I don't know, is it just a theory?

As for cost cutting, Tokai could have:

switched to basswood bodies (as Fender Japan do on cheaper models)
switched to plywood bodies (as later Japanese Squiers did)
switched to ceramic pickups
used cheaper electronics
used a cheaper bridge & trem

To the best of my knowledge none of that happened on '85 Goldstars, & that seems strange to me.

PhilB said:
The previous owner had removed both pick up covers but still had them so I put them both back on then later removed the bridge cover again a la Jimmy Page, but I still have it. Not sure whether I prefer with or without covers? There are no labels on the pups so I'm not sure what they are but according to the registry they should be 57 PAFs so I'm assuming that's what they are?

I don't believe those are 57 PAF's; I think they're somehwat lower Gotoh's, from the back plate and lack of sticker. Wiring sure looks muddied up.

As another said, 1985 was a transitional year, and many guitars have unusual features. This has feb, which strongly suggests LS-80. But, the p/ups suggest LS-60. One piece back suggests LS-80. Confusing, but not in bad way.

If it sounds good, and feels good, just play it and enjoy!

If you were going to do anything to the guitar, I would clean up the control cavity and put some proper pots and vintage wiring in there. I don't think you would be harming the value of the guitar by doing that and I think it would really open up the sound. Just my opinion. :)

Mick 51, yeah I agree it does look a bit of a mess in the control cavity, lol.

Pegcityrocker, I think I'll definitely upgrade the pups and pots and caps and tidy up the wiring at some point soon. I'm thinking of going for either the Wolfetone Vintage PAFs or the WCR Crossroads PAFs. Does anyone here have any of these in their LP? These should noticably improve the tone. I'll keep all the original parts in case I ever decide to sell it - not that I am as I think it's a keeper, but it's always at the back of your mind when you do any mods that you might be devaluing the guitar??

I might still also get the inlays replaced with vintage 59 type inlays as they do bug me.

PhilB said:
Pegcityrocker, I think I'll definitely upgrade the pups and pots and caps and tidy up the wiring at some point soon. I'm thinking of going for either the Wolfetone Vintage PAFs or the WCR Crossroads PAFs. Does anyone here have any of these in their LP? These should noticably improve the tone. I'll keep all the original parts in case I ever decide to sell it - not that I am as I think it's a keeper, but it's always at the back of your mind when you do any mods that you might be devaluing the guitar??

Both are very good p/ups. Between those two, I would personally choose Wolfe's. I probably have 6 or 8 sets of Wolfe's p/ups, Dr Vintage and Legends, and 5 sets of Jim's (WCR) - Darkburst, Goodwood, Fillmore,.. For my personal taste, I really like the Wolfetone Legends; for me, a bit smoother, and a bit better breakup than the Dr Vintage. But, so much depends on personal taste, and the particular guitar. I also have several sets of Tom Holmes, and they are just ridiculously good. But, there are so many winders turning out such good p/ups, the differences are very small. So, your mileage may vary.

Having said all that, with you being in London, there are some excellent winders on your side of the puddle. At least give some of them a listen - I'm sure they would be very happy for you to "buy local," and I'm sure that there are some who could give anyone, anywhere a good run for the money.

Mick51 said:
Having said all that, with you being in London, there are some excellent winders on your side of the puddle. At least give some of them a listen - I'm sure they would be very happy for you to "buy local," and I'm sure that there are some who could give anyone, anywhere a good run for the money.

I've not checked out any UK makers yet, are there any you would recommend? I was going on some of the positive comments out there on Wolfetone and WCR and had a listen to some of the audio clips on their sites and liked the sound of the Dr Vintage and Crossroads but the others sounded good too, so I'm not really sure what would work best. As you say a lot depends on the particular natural sound of the guitar.

Diamond, just a hunch I have that they will sound better than what's in there at the moment, I might be wrong though?!?!

JVsearch said:
stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:

Mike

Apparently all the cash they made on LP and Strat style guiters they 'invested' in the aluminium bodied Talbo expecting it to sell by the boad-load, and suprise suprise it didn't :wink:

Old stock Goto pickups are very good bridge pickups,I got good R&R sound with my '79 LS-80 Reborn and Ceriatone Pro tweed replica (no effects).I like these.
Wolfetones Dr. Vs are better however (but a tad bright and lower strong).

Lovely guitar mate - I've got a ls 60 from 1984 and its a beut! nice half and half with the zebra hum's and the covered... what do you prefer?

JJMcG said:
Lovely guitar mate - I've got a ls 60 from 1984 and its a beut! nice half and half with the zebra hum's and the covered... what do you prefer?

I'm not too sure whether I'm a covered or uncovered type of guy which is why I've sat on the fence and gone half and half - well if it was good enough for Jimmy Page's #1:wink: Taking the cover off does seem to add a slight amount of extra top but you could achieve this with a bit of extra top on your amp/mixer anyway, so I guess it's really a cosmetic thing, though others may disagree?? I do like the look of them uncovered though and might take the neck cover off again. Zebras are my fave.

Congrats on your LS60, they really are great LPs aren't they - better than anything Gibson was making during this period.

Udonitron said:
Gorgeous guitar man!
On a side note, I am surprised LS-60's had fret binding in 85? I thought only 80's and higher had that?

specs were all over the place in 1984-1985;

here's a LS50 with 2 piece top and 1 piece back;
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1984TokaiLS50.html

and this is an interesting story;
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1985TokaiLS80.html

Back