1984 Tokai Goldstar blue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to point out, i was being very conservative in my earlier comments, as i said, i don't know as much as you. I'd DEFINITELY be trying to get a refund, based on what everyone else has said now (as it confirmed my suspicions).

"Anal"? What a cheek. The only reason he got that price was because he described it as in amazing condition. I wonder how much he'd have got if he'd described it as what it really was? :roll:

I wasn't aware that full setups came with rusty strings, either.

It's beyond belief how much of a brass neck some people have (bringing up "trust"? :lol: )- point him to this thread, if he still won't give you a full (including all postage) refund, file a complaint as John says. :) I'm really sorry you got stung by this one, by the way, i hope you get it sorted. :)

Wow...what a mess that is. Even if he didn't know what was under the pickguard, having worked in a guitar shop as he admits, he should recognize that that guitar is not in unmarked condition, nor is it highly collectable any more.

I can't say if I've ever seen a worse routing hack-job, covered up with a refinish! His ad implied it was pristine, which would mean original parts, but the pickups and bridge saddles are not original. The neck looks like it might be about the only useful thing on it!

:cry:
________

Last edited by a moderator:
The seller has offered to refund me the ?311 if I return the guitar to him, & I have agreed to this. He also requested that I remove the thread, so I have deleted my posts.

Thank you everybody for your comments. I think it would be best if everybody refrained from making any further posts in this thread.

Mike

It isn't sorted. :evil:

Just to remind you of the details folks, this was the ad for the "Goldstar" I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300274700284

And these are the pics of what I received:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20Goldstar%20metallic%20blue/

After considerable correspondence, the seller agreed to accept the guitar back & refund me, so I sent it back. Eventually, he sent me an eBay refund of ?311 on 25th December by eCheque, so I was still out of pocket for the shipping costs both outward and return. The seller refused to accept that it was reasonable to refund me any of this.

Today I heard from Paypal that the eCheque payment "could not be processed from the sender's bank. Please do not post any items. We have cancelled this transaction and advise you to contact the sender to make new payment arrangements.".

So I have filled a dispute. I just thought you guys should be made aware of the seller's actions in case you see any other adverts from him. Or in case he lists this atrocity again.

Beware!

stratman323 said:
It isn't sorted. :evil:

Just to remind you of the details folks, this was the ad for the "Goldstar" I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300274700284

And these are the pics of what I received:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20Goldstar%20metallic%20blue/

After considerable correspondence, the seller agreed to accept the guitar back & refund me, so I sent it back. Eventually, he sent me an eBay refund of ?311 on 25th December by eCheque, so I was still out of pocket for the shipping costs both outward and return. The seller refused to accept that it was reasonable to refund me any of this.

Today I heard from Paypal that the eCheque payment "could not be processed from the sender's bank. Please do not post any items. We have cancelled this transaction and advise you to contact the sender to make new payment arrangements.".

So I have filled a dispute. I just thought you guys should be made aware of the seller's actions in case you see any other adverts from him. Or in case he lists this atrocity again.

Beware!

I always pay by credit card - even on Paypal. You have your bank backing you up on any dispute as well as what little Paypal will do.

Caveat Emptor, lads.

I nearly always pay by credit card too, & I'm pretty sure I did in this case. So I could claim from my credit card if Paypal don't refund me?

stratman323 said:
I nearly always pay by credit card too, & I'm pretty sure I did in this case. So I could claim from my credit card if Paypal don't refund me?

Have you received your bill yet? If so, dispute the charge with you bank and have them remove it from your balance due until resolved. DON"T PAY IT. You'll need to type them up a detailed explanation of what happened. 9 times out of 10, they will support the card holder with the dispute.

Yep, bill is paid. Presumably I need to give PP the opportunity to refund me before I approach the credit card company?

stratman323 said:
Yep, bill is paid. Presumably I need to give PP the opportunity to refund me before I approach the credit card company?

At this point, yes. If it's paid, it's harder to dispute but if you paid it before it arrived, you have a case. Contact your card's issuing bank.

marcusnieman said:
At this point, yes. If it's paid, it's harder to dispute but if you paid it before it arrived, you have a case. Contact your card's issuing bank.

.....at their call centre in India. That'll be fun.......

:(

yeah, if you paid by credit card you should have a bit more protection than if you paid by direct debit.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/money_and_credit/bought-on-credit/ - there's info on that site about buying from "auction" sites too, your rights etc. also, the office of fair trading website might be worth looking at, too. basically, a lot of sellers and businesses chance their arms because they know that 95% of people don't know their rights, it's amazing how quickly they can back down when you show that you do...

i'm really sorry it's not sorted, that seller sounds like a piece of work. :evil:

bad enough to suggest he shouldn't refund the postage (it's his fault, after all! :evil: ), but now that his e-cheque has bounced (at least, that's what i assume has happened)?

:evil:

ugh. As i said, i hope it gets sorted. If it doesn't, i'll be extremely sceptical about using ebay again. ebay just seems to wash its hands of any problems and claim they aren't its problem. They are (or should be).

:)

ochay said:
Please visit this site>>

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't tell me much I didn't know.

:(

Somebody needs to set up a new auction site to rival eBay, & come up with a better payment system than Paypal. But I'm not holding my breath.....

I'm pleased to report a happy ending. eBay/Paypal sorted it all out, & the full amount I paid (including postage) has been credited back to my credit card account. There wasn't even a ?15 admin charge, which I believe they used to make.

So, all credit to eBay, they proved all of us cynics wrong in this case.

8)

stratman323 said:
I'm pleased to report a happy ending. eBay/Paypal sorted it all out, & the full amount I paid (including postage) has been credited back to my credit card account. There wasn't even a ?15 admin charge, which I believe they used to make.

So, all credit to eBay, they proved all of us cynics wrong in this case.

8)

atta boy.

sweet, that's good to hear. nice to hear you got the postage back too, even though it's a small amount, it's the kind of thing which leaves a bad taste in your mouth (which hopefully ebay and paypal have realised). :)

Back