1982 Love Rock LS100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducati said:
Laminate top. All the way.

The side view of the pickup cavity shows a thin layer of wood on the top of the guitar. A little enhancement in photoshop makes it even more obvious. Look for the thin, lighter-colored line beneath the finish.

lam8pp.jpg

thgose are the pics that i refered to in my last post.... they clearly show that there is a thin veneer, tokai only use a very thin veneer on their guitars, that guitar is definetly a veneered top...

I just wanted to say you got an awesome top regardless of what it is. Looks killer to me, I wouldn't give 2 sheets.

magentaplacenta said:
I just wanted to say you got an awesome top regardless of what it is. Looks killer to me, I wouldn't give 2 sheets.

I think I agree.

All right, I've been remiss, but I think the onus is on me to put a stake in this thing once and for all (if that's possible).

Anyway,

Before we start, here's what all the fuss is about. I got a great pic of the top in natural light:

beautytop.jpg

I originally intended to work up a treatise on why I thought this top was solid, but then I did what ochay suggested. There's an area in the bridge pickup cavity that's kind of gaffed anyway so I figured I could take a low angle cross-section without affecting the integrity too much...but I'm getting ahead of myself. :wink:

First, here's a shot of the pickup cavity, including the area in dispute:

whereditgo.jpg

The "layer" really seems to disappear going around the corner.

Now, here is a pic of the seams in both cavities:

seamoutsidetouched.jpg

No strong visual evidence of a laminate there either. The seam also appears to be perfectly aligned with the top and continuous in both cavities.

Here's a shot of some pretty strong flame-action in the neck cavity. This is the same angle as the disputed pic:

plentyocurltouched.jpg

Here's the other side of the cavity showing less prominent, but still clearly visible, continuous flame.

othersideoveredgetouched.jpg

Also note that the position, thickness and periodicity of the flame really does appear to be continuous from the top through the cross section in both these pics. If you look close you can note this in the earlier pics as well. This was the most compelling evidence for me, really. I can't see a spot where it DOESN'T look continuous, anywhere on the top. Of course this stuff is very difficult to photograph.

Here's another shot in B&W where you can see it from a different angle. Note that this is not due to curvature. It's in the wood.

bwflameoveredge.jpg

So back to the low angle section. Drum roll, please:

It does look like a laminate. :evil: I can't get it to photograph, and that is part of the reason why I haven't posted here in a while. I really wanted a picture, coupled with my all too human desire not to want to eat crow. :oops:

So, I don't know. At this point, I guess I'd have to say that I can't maintain that it is a solid top. :(

But still I'm confused. It's an outstanding example of craftsmanship on the laminate at the very least. And I do think that the bulk of the top is flamed maple, and I'd even go so far as to say that it looks like the same piece of wood. Why use a laminate from the same piece of wood?

The world may never know.

In the interest of true scientific discourse:

Here is a link to the gallery with all of the original and doctored photos from my follow up investigation. Feel free to use them at will (except for unscrupulous purposes!)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...post_signin=Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Ux=0

Here's and updated link to the first gallery, too. It has some additional pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLa...post_signin=Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Ux=0

CryBaby said:
.. I won't interfere in the discussion whether it's a solid top or a veneer one but this is one gorgeous guitar...

Haha, CryBaby, I agree with you. But the discussion here is not, to find out, if it is a gorgeous guitar or not. The question here is very simple.

Is it a solid top or a veneer??

And maybe I am able to help with my pic of a LS120, 1982.

The pics and the posting from Ducati shows the view only to the painted side on the top over the PUP cavity. That's the reason why you can see this little bright line, between the paint and the wood. ( As shown in my pic)
But now let's view my pic. Here you see as well the same, but you have also the view on the unpainted side of the top over the PUP cavity. Here is no "bright" line to see.

So I state: It is definitively a solid top!
Champagne!! :)

ls120198211wq.jpg

togps said:
And maybe I am able to help with my pic of a LS120, 1982.

The pics and the posting from Ducati shows the view only to the painted side on the top over the PUP cavity. That's the reason why you can see this little bright line, between the paint and the wood. ( As shown in my pic)
But now let's view my pic. Here you see as well the same, but you have also the view on the unpainted side of the top over the PUP cavity. Here is no "bright" line to see.

And here is a similar picture from my original gallery:

196119362106_0_ALB.jpg

So if it was solid, what's the difference between an '82 100 and 120? Color? Is yours more of a cherry burst? Finish? Mine had that rough spot in the cavity that I mentioned above. Weight? Mine feels kind of heavy. Still haven't weighed it.

I did have the thought that maybe that line was a result of the dye penetrating into the wood. Is that typical? That would explain why it is prominent on the sides and not the middle.

Would somebody please post a photo of a definite laminate, and especially one across the center seam?!?!

Voila!! Tokai with veneer! LS80F, 2005, Lemon Drop

ls80flemondrop66xb.jpg

ls80flemondrop78uf.jpg

ScottA, I am not able to see any pic in your posting. No one else claims it! Is something wrong on my compu??

I am not able to see any pic in your posting. No one else claims it! Is something wrong on my compu??

No, I can't see ScottA's pictures either, forgot to mention that!

Wish I had a digital camera so I could take some pictures of the pup cavities on my '85 "still unidentified LoveRock"! Except for the noncentered seam I find it VERY hard to see the laminate, in fact I haven't found it yet :wink: .

I can't see them sometimes either!

If I get out of the thread then get back in I can.

Anyway the pics in order in the gallery are:

pic1 (flame top)
pic11 (line disappearing around corner)
pic10 (2 seams)
pic8 (flame in cavity)
pic6 (flame in other side of cavity)
pic2 (BW)

I'll try to get on another hosting service and edit the post when I get a chance. These are on ofoto. Maybe they block it somehow. I had one that I pasted the url from the shared link that wouldn't show up, then when I posted it from my private link, it did.

By the way, togps, is that seam in the top off center? The low E goes right down it so it is hard to tell if it lines up. I can't see the laminate clearly there either though. Maybe it's just the glare?

The additional picture of the seam that I posted subsequently is in the 2nd gallery link (ie the original one).

pic6

pic 12 in that gallery shows both seams pretty well, too.

BTW, you guys have me wavering again. Based on the alignment of my seams and the non-alignment of yours, and the dye penetration argument....

Whatever, I'm gonna keep it anyway. The only time I would REALLY care is if I had to describe it in a sale.

Allright, I admit it, I CARE!!!! Now let go of my arm!!!

CryBaby,
'85 Love Rock LS50 have a solid top,
'85 Love Rock LS60 & LS80 have a veneer over solid top

Thanks togps, you might have told me that before but I didn't remember. While mine's definitely a veneer judging from the off center seam I still don't know if it's an LS60 or LS80. Like i've said the pickups didn't have any markings at all and there's no PCB...

ScottA sorry for kinda hi-jacking your thread here!!

Unfortunately i can't help you with your "problem" BUT wouldn't it be a possibility that they make all the veneer tops with an off center seam for an easier identification, or are there also symmetric seams on solid tops with veneer over it? It's just a suggestion I'll say it again i have no idea what i'm talking about! :)

centerseam.jpg

laminate2.jpg

centerseam2.jpg

laminate4.jpg

i dunno whether this is a solidtop or no... the pics that show the side of the p/up route looks like there is a laminate top, but the center seem does look as if it is perfect.... i have no idea to be honest.... the LS100s did have laminated tops right???

I guess they were supposed to. It's all very mysterious.

At least it makes for a nice lively thread!

Thanks for posting those pics, too. I don't know why nobody else can see them. I can, at least most of the time...

glad to help bro.... i never had any probs with kodakgallery.com but i noticed that others were having problems viewing the pics, so i thought i would post them onto the thread so that ppl could see what we are talking about...

Howdy all you Love Rock fans! Speaking as an ES 120 guy I obviously have a veneer top on my axe. The best semi-acoustics do! My guitar also sounds and looks glorious.

This Love Rock looks fantastic. So here's an idea. Now that the post seems to have exhausted all discussion on the veneer/solidtop issue plug the guitar in and enjoy,enjoy, enjoy. That's what it's there for!

You'll be happy to know that I just strung it back up the other day, after I finally gave up on getting that pic of the line in the bridge pu'p cavity!

I think I'll use it the next time we play out. It's already been defrocked, but I reverted back to my R9 the last gig.

Decisions, decisions......

Latest posts

Back