1982-83 Springy Sound Decal change....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contourbody

Reaction score
Hi.
Please can someone identify the 58 Strat model that I've recently acquired, as featured in the attached JPEGs?
Note. The guitar came in a tweed case, pink velour lining, would this have been originally supplied with the guitar?

Many thanks. David

Attachments

• IMG20230403132813.jpg
    IMG20230403132813.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230403145901_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG20230403145901_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230403132745.jpg
    IMG20230403132745.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a block logo springy made in January 1983.

Block logo guitars were sent to the UK.

Likely an ST50. Does it have U pickups?

Also, model name changed from ST to TST around this time.

You could call it a 1983 ST or TST50 BB.

Looks like a block logo springy made in January 1983.

Block logo guitars were sent to the UK.

Likely an ST50. Does it have U pickups?

Also, model name changed from ST to TST around this time.

You could call it a 1983 ST or TST50 BB.
Thanks, Sigmania.
Yes, it does indeed have U Pickups, as alternative to the E's.
Interesting that the block logo models were sent only to the UK, I wonder why that was? Knew that Fender were pretty twitchy at the time with IP issues and inferior quality of their comparative manufacturing output, but, thereafter, I draw a blank ..?
I've had a number of US strats and this one's up there with the very best of them.
Incidentally, the tweed case has no Tokai logo affixed to it.
Best, David.

Yes, indeed, believe mine to be this case:
(ST-130, Lifton style faux leather)
👍
Cool. That’s not tweed though.

If it’s tweed with pink lining and no badge then it’s probably not a Tokai case. Can you post pictures of it?

Thanks, Sigmania.
Interesting that the block logo models were sent only to the UK, I wonder why that was? Knew that Fender were pretty twitchy at the time with IP issues and inferior quality of their comparative manufacturing output, but, thereafter, I draw a blank ..?
I've had a number of US strats and this one's up there with the very best of them.
Best, David.
There was a lawsuit in the UK in 1982 between the distributors of Fender (Arbiter) and Tokai (Blue Suede Music). The block logo was a response to the judgment of the court re: the phrase on the spaghetti logo decals including the word "Strat" on Springys.

Last edited:
And curious to know what your serial number is? I have been trying to log these in association with the production codes.

Thanks, Sigmania.
Best, David.

Cool. That’s not tweed though.

If it’s tweed with pink lining and no badge then it’s probably not a Tokai case. Can you post pictures of it?
Don't have the case with me ATM, the guitar's at the tech's. Certainly the interior layout and colour is the same as the 1980 Lifton. I'll get back to you. Thanks, again...

There was a lawsuit in the UK in 1982 between the distributors of Fender (Arbiter) and Tokai (Blue Suede Music). The block logo was a response to the judgment of the court re: the phrase on the spaghetti logo decals including the word "Strat" on Springys.
Thank you, interesting indeed...

Made in Japan by rock and roll fanatics"

SN 11052
SN 11058 (December)
SN 11259
SN 11279
SN 12868
SN 13583
So, suggests mine's early 83ish?
Thanks....
Like I said before, January 1983.

The "1" on your neck is January.