• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1981 LS150 VF - might be LS120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This one actually is a bit tricky. I bought her from togps as one of my first Tokais.

He sold her to me as an LS150 and lists her on his homepage as an LS150.

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/gallery.php

However, with the help of whiteknight (Thanks Ed!) I have established that she actually might be a LS120. Both DiMarzios are PAFs, while a 1981 LS150 is supposed to have a SuperDistortion in the bridge position.

The neck pup reads at 7.2K and the bridge at 7.9K?while SDs read at 13.5K and 13.9K.

She definitely is 100% original. I triple-checked every point of the electronics. She also has VERY thin nitro-finish, thats why the violin finish almost looks like orange drop by now.

Frets around 3-7th on E1-B are 8/10. If I would have played her I'd given her a small "shave". There is plenty of metal left.

Otherwise she is in great (close to mint) condition. Whoever played her took real care. Her top is literally untouched. No belt-scratches on her back.

I'll include the Faber-kit free of charge as well as the original stoptail.

I am really sorry that I never took her to my stripey chair. 8)

Asking price including case and insured shipment with UPS inside the EU (yes, this includes the UK) is Euro 1800.--. Please check www.ups.com for shipment outside the EU.

Of course I offer 100% unconditional right of return as long as the buyer pays return shipment.

Cheers! Rup

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

Please allow me to apologize for the lousy pics. I am not in Austria at the moment, so that's all I have.

rgrafend said:
This one actually is a bit tricky. I bought her from togps as one of my first Tokais.

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/gallery.php

However, with the help of whiteknight (Thanks Ed!) I have established that she actually might be a LS120. Both DiMarzios are PAFs, while a 1981 LS150 is supposed to have a SuperDistortion in the bridge position.

Rupert,
apparently I'm the only one who dares piping up ... but I don't like your attitude playing foul after a purchase which has been completed a very long time ago actually ...
This story between you and togps has nothing to do with your intention to sell that guitar.
What do we tell the newbies here ???? If you're insecure ask as many questions as you can and do a research in all available sources ...
That's what you should have done instead ...
Who's claiming that togps is the omniscient Godfather of Tokai ???
Why can't we grant him also making mistakes ???
Discrediting togps now, in a very despicable manner shows your real character ... poor ... :roll:
Roger

tudor said:
Rupert,
apparently I'm the only one who dares piping up ... but I don't like your attitude playing foul after a purchase which has been completed a very long time ago actually ...
This story between you and togps has nothing to do with your intention to sell that guitar.
What do we tell the newbies here ???? If you're insecure ask as many questions as you can and do a research in all available sources ...
That's what you should have done instead ...
Who's claiming that togps is the omniscient Godfather of Tokai ???
Why can't we grant him also making mistakes ???
Discrediting togps now, in a very despicable manner shows your real character ... poor ... :roll:
Roger

If you run a business and make profit out of it, you're supposed to know what you're selling. Period. Even if you're just clearing your garage you're supposed to too but it's even more true if you're a sort of "professional". This is out of any personal recriminations or anything. Just common sens. And I don't see where rgrafend is have a bad attitude.. This beauty was sold as a LS-150, he thinks it's a LS-120, 2 points of view, the buyer can make his own opinion. :roll:

Or is this linked to another subject? Because in this post I don't see any argument...

20 century boy said:
And I don't see where rgrafend is have a bad attitude.. This beauty was sold as a LS-150, he thinks it's a LS-120, 2 points of view, the buyer can make his own opinion. :roll:

Or is this linked to another subject? Because in this post I don't see any argument...

Do you really try to teach me right "reading between the lines" ?????
:eek: :eek:
If there was no other purpose than 'that the buyer can make his opinion' ... he was free to write that he wasn't sure if it is a LS120 or a LS150 actually - without any names ... and the whole story ...
"Honi soit qui mal y pense" :wink:
Roger

I think you read too much between the lines :wink: . WHat I see in the first post is " the seller think it's a LS-150 and the buyer a LS-120".

Maybe both are sure they are right. :lol:

LS-120 = 2 dimarzio PAF's
LS-150 = 1 dimarzio PAF neck and 1 Dimarzio Super Distortion (with hex poles) Bridge...

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

also for the 150 it says ''high quality electronics'' which to me would suggest better caps..

yes possible of course, i dont think i have seen a 1981 spec sheet...

but all 150's ihave seen have the different dimarzio's...having said that I dont think i have had a 1981 150;.....

rgrafend said:

Rupert, thank you very much for you detailed and apparently honest description of the guitar you are selling. I now know there is a question mark over it's actual model no. You could have just sold it as an LS150 but, as you were unsure of this, doing so would have been dishonest. When buying guitars I personally like to have as much honest information as I can get.

I see that a forum member who seems to have no interest in buying the guitar has launched a personal attack on you for reasons he has not disclosed. I don't know if he had involvement in the original transaction between togps and yourself. If togps feels he has been discredited I'm sure he is very capable of defending himself, and would do so in a far more reasoned manner.

Chris

I don't see that I am discrediting togps. I just state that he sold it as an LS150 while I believe by now that it is a LS120. If I would not plan to sell her I would not care.

What is "discrediting" about stating the facts? :eek:

He sold it as a LS150, perhaps it is one.

I don't see that I am discrediting togps. I just state that he sold it as an LS150 while I believe by now that it is a LS120. If I would not plan to sell her I would not care.

What is "discrediting" about stating the facts? :eek:

He sold it as a LS150, perhaps it is one.

It doesn't seem like there would be much difference in value between a 120 and 150? Specs are quite similar despite the gap in model number, no?

Mark, what is the difference in specs? Does "made to order' represent any specification desired by the buyer or some logical step up from the 120?

Thanks, Joe :)

only differences are better flametops..''selected'' and different PU combination and electrics, but the specs changed from 79-81, in that the early ones all have the circuitboard whereas from 1981 the big caps start to appear without the circuitboard on 150's and 200's...., whether there was more individual input for the 150's over the 120's is not known, but the 200's were all hand made as far as I am aware..at least from 1979-1981 before the cnc machines anyway...

thats to the best of my understanding...

Back