1980 Tokai Springy Sound 64 - 3 way or 5 way switch?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hoping for some assistance from the experts! I have a Tokai strat as described in the subject line. One piece 2-tone body, rosewood fingerboard, E series pickups, excellent playing guitar with lots of vintage mojo. But the switch had been replaced at some time with a 3-way switch, and whoever did it didn't do such a great job. My guitar tech cannot tell if the original was a 5-way or 3-way. My understanding was that *all* the early strats had 5-way switches. Fact or fiction? My problem is whether to have the tech repair the connections on the 3-way switch, or replace with a new 5-way switch. My intent is to restore to as close to original as possible. Any help please?

Tokai used a 5-way switch that actually feels like a 3-way (the neck/mid and mid/bridge positions are very faint (if that's the right word?)), the ones I've come across have been made by Mitsubishi. I would replace the switch with the best on the market - a 5-way CLR (Centralabs). I always use them on my guitars but I've never had to replace a Tokai Mitsubishi switch, the quality is excellent.

Mike

Thanks for your reply! None of the other experts in the forum had anything to say about it, so I have to take that as their total concurrence with your answer! My tech is putting in a 5-way Fernandez switch so at least this guitar will have 100 percent Japanese heritage.

Thanks again

I have a 50's model springy sound and it has a 5 way switch - all original as far as I can see. I have a 60's model goldstar sound which I've owned from new with a 5 way switch. I believe they all came with 5 way switches - I've never really thought about whether it feels like a 3 way but I might just check this out tonight.

Cheers,

Tony

Back