1980 LS-80 In the good old USA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducati

Reaction score
I am slowly learning about these Tokais :)

a792_1.JPG

1980 Tokai LS-80 on ebay

It's attractive enough, got the case, appears to be in decent shape, but I'm just not wowed by it. Maybe it's the lack of any figure on the top. At that price, I would certainly like to see a little flicker to the flame :)

Is the $1500 buy it now about the going rate? Or perhaps a little high?

Looks in very nice condition. Price is OK if you are in the USA, to import to Europe with shipping & taxes it would be expensive.

I prefer the plain-top LS-80 to a the laminated flames of the LS-120. Both have one piece backs and an 18 degree tilt to the headstock.

The only drawback to the auction is the pics are too small and they don't tell you how much it weighs. The Japanese sellers are much more thorough and professional. I took a chance on an $1100 dollar Orville by Gibson, and got lucky, but I prefer to play a guitar that costs over 1k to make sure the fret scale/intonation is correct and that the guitar isn't a brick.

Do you want to know if the model is coorect?
Ask the seller lifting neck pickups and send a pic of the inside and post it here :wink:

Im interested in this one too. I contacted the seller to see if it has a long tennon and they said "We believe it to be all original." Also asked if they knew if the finish was laquer and they said they thinks its poly.

So, no sale at the listed price.

The consensus is that it's not an LS-80 until we see a neck pickup cavity shot?

Sounds a bit high for me here in Oz

I bought my LS-70F, now called ,LS-85F, from japan at US$600, 98 model, last november, imaculate condition without hardcase
LOVE the guitar absolutely screams LP Std tone

A few pics

77_12_s.jpg

bf_12_sb.jpg

6f_12_s.jpg

Back