1980 LS-200 - Yahoo JP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JVsearch said:
JohnA said:
I think the confusion is between 'hype' and 'word getting around' two very different things. If everyone went around saying old Japanee guitars are rubbish then the prices would not have escalated the way they have, but the fact is they are great guitars, and don't need hyping.

"They are great guitars..." yet there are several persons on this forum who, one minute have the best guitar ever, and the next minute that best guitar ever is quietly sold off. Just normal guitar comings and goings in the process of finding the right axe? Maybe, or maybe some have not lived up to expectations?

Given the fact that people are now expected to just throw down big money based solely on photos and seller descriptions, the feedback on the guitars is vital, and it forms a fair component of the price. This forum is pretty much the global hub for that feedback, and some of us would just like to be sure that all is as it seems, as there are many choices available for guitar players nowadays.

Spot on....

The best Greco I have ever owned or played is my plain top EG600 MC from 1987. The tone in the wood is outstanding. I love it...It will follow me into the grave :D

But it is not a Super Real EGF so most people here woud not pay any attention to pics of it :D

Koubayashi said:
villager said:
HYPE = publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner..

Many times there is a thinline between definitions.

Frankly, most people have no idea how a 59 FT feels and sounds like.
But yet their LP is just as or nearly as good :D

Important to add is that there are late 50s LPs that are ^&*( as well.

Frankly, most people have no idea what a great guitar feels and sounds like. ....after all, new LP standards are selling in their 1000's and they are not great guitars.

villager said:
Koubayashi said:
villager said:
HYPE = publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner..

Many times there is a thinline between definitions.

Frankly, most people have no idea how a 59 FT feels and sounds like.
But yet their LP is just as or nearly as good :D

Important to add is that there are late 50s LPs that are ^&*( as well.

Frankly, most people have no idea what a great guitar feels and sounds like. ....after all, new LP standards are selling in their 1000's and they are not great guitars.

I think that a guitar will be good if it has the right name on the headstock, cost a bit of money and has the right colour.

me too!! thats absolutely the best way to choose.. :p :D :eek:..IF you can't play them first...

go for the known brand of quality, at the right model level, then just pick a colour you like, chances are for the old Japanese stuff, you will get a good guitar..

I have done a side by side comparison with a early eighties LS120's and a 59 les paul and the Tokai with the Dimarzio PAF's sounded better-PERIOD-I have a modest set up(mesa boogie 50 Cal)
I actually disassembled the Gibson and the Tokai side by side just for giggles-the gibson cost me $125K the Tokai cost me $1600-go figure

ochay said:
I have done a side by side comparison with a early eighties LS120's and a 59 les paul and the Tokai with the Dimarzio PAF's sounded better-PERIOD-I have a modest set up(mesa boogie 50 Cal)
I actually disassembled the Gibson and the Tokai side by side just for giggles-the gibson cost me $125K the Tokai cost me $1600-go figure

Mike, nice to see you back .................... been a loooooooong time ...........

how did you like my reply to you, from your PM?

ochay said:

Any pics or video of that? Would be VERY cool to see that...

ochay said:

would love to see some pics / soundsamples

Back