• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1980 Greco EGF-1200 Super Real

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220623359165&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

oh sorry my mistake - looked like the same nick out of the base of the model sticker - my confusion.

Timo.......Yes....... I do not beleive the one going to Japan is Forum Member... It sold for $4000 USD plus shipping. The Dry-Z pups, bridge and tailpiece all look brand new. This guitar has been very well taken care of over the last 30 years. Weight 8.5 lbs

DSC00437-1.jpg

Congrats Cliff. $4,000!

Let me know who this buyer is - I have a few MIJ's I'd like to sell him! LOL

Cheers.

last onre in japan sold for 254000 yen, approx 2300 euro, add shipping charges and duty to the eu and thats near to 3000 euros..

its a popular and rare guitar, heh the Japanese want them back!!

Im kinda confused here too
Was under impression MIJ offers more for less money...but the prices (lately)are so so with the originals....
Or am I mistaken?

butrus said:
Was under impression MIJ offers more for less money...but the prices (lately)are so so with the originals....
Or am I mistaken?

I think it's definitely the case that buying new you get a better Les Paul for your money buying MIJ rather than USA, and buying used this is also true if you look at Orville by Gibsons, Tokai LS80's some high end Burny's and Grecos, but there are a few very sought after models like EGF1200's and Tokai LS120's that are up there in price with Historics, IMO these are still good value for money, but certainly not bargains!

With a 30 year old guitar as rare as these you are paying a premium for collectability no doubt about it! They are great guitars, but whether thay are 'better' than a historic is open to debate, some say they are and some disagree.

villager said:

its a popular and rare guitar, heh the Japanese want them back!!

I've noticed a trend of the Japanese buyers outbidding Rinky-et al- on most of the rare MIJ's.

side note : Anyone have production numbers on the different MIJ LP's Greco's, Burny's and Tokai's? Specifically - 1979 to, say, 1982?

butrus said:
Or am I mistaken?

Those were the good old days :lol: :lol: :lol:

compared to the ''originals'' ALL MIJ are cheap, compared to historics some are more expensive, but when you have 10000 a year of one thing being made now, and maybe 100 of another made over 30 years ago then the choice is clear...

the new high end tokais and navigators are better specced than historics for the same price, but its a personal preference as to which you choose,

the name is still important to a lot of people

To all newbies:

Me and a mate arranged a "blind test" with three Lesters:

Newer Gibson LP
Greco LP
original 1958 LP

People's choice was clear: The 58 was chosen the best sounding and feeling LP by the participants AND most of them ranked the Greco over the newer Gibson.

villager said:
...when you have 10000 a year of one thing being made now, and maybe 100 of another made over 30 years ago then the choice is clear...

There isn't 10k a year Historics being made, it's more like 1500 of all the models. Some of them, such as the 1954 stop tail are made in very limited numbers like 20 per year.

You think an old Greco is as good as a burst, well I guess you would, you sell them...

JVsearch said:
villager said:
...when you have 10000 a year of one thing being made now, and maybe 100 of another made over 30 years ago then the choice is clear...

There isn't 10k a year Historics being made, it's more like 1500 of all the models. Some of them, such as the 1954 stop tail are made in very limited numbers like 20 per year.

You think an old Greco is as good as a burst, well I guess you would, you sell them...

+1
In the late 50's Gibson made the huge number of app 2000 (can't remember the exact number but there about) LPs with PAF.

Not sure what it means but then a high end Japanese LP should automatically be better than a late 50's LP

Actually, When scrutinizing and comparing different "scholars" I think there is a consensus here that reminds me much of the Burst Brothers'.
In other words: anything to keep the value up.

Let us see if the high end Japanese Lesters break the 10000? around the same time the 59 FT breaks the million dollars!!

Back