1978-1980 Tokai Reborn: Solid Carved Tops?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PizzaFLIXTV

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and caught the MIJ Les Paul bug. Do the non-flame top 1978-1980 Tokai Reborn Les Pauls LS-60 or 80 have solid carved tops?

Yes. The only veneer ones have a flame laminate and those are uncommon in that period (some LS120's).

Here are some graphics from the 1981 Arched Top catalog. The top images are Tokais. The ones below it are comparisons of products by other mfrs.

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

Thank you for the great detailed images! I've seen several Greco Super Reals with their Flame Top veneers cracking, chipping, or completely lifting off. So I'm shopping for a '78-80 unmolested Tokai Reborn LS-80. Most of the ones I've seen are missing the pickup covers.

Cool. There are a couple on Yahoo Japan right now I believe?

LS 80 and above Chrome or Nickel stock hardware? Love aged nickel. I've seen both and just read that chrome was stock... maybe it depends on the model. Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for the great detailed images! I've seen several Greco Super Reals with their Flame Top veneers cracking, chipping, or completely lifting off. So I'm shopping for a '78-80 unmolested Tokai Reborn LS-80. Most of the ones I've seen are missing the pickup covers.
Exactly!. Stay away from veneers for those reasons. They might be pretty, but they’re not authentic Les Paul construction.

Latest posts

Back