My new ES 135 TB

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.skorpio

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
this is my first post , but I had been looking around here months before. After reading that execellent informations here in this forum, I decided to buy me a Tokai ES 120 SB from Ishibashi in Dec 2005.Meanwhile price increased and they call it ES 130. It was very easy to deal with Ishibashi. And now after 2 months my ES arrived. The maker made a littte mistake and actually I recieved an Tokai ES 135 TB ( with block inlays) but it is labeled as ES 130 TB. The colorcode TB (teaburst) I never heard before.For me the color looks similar to sunburst so I am very happy with this deal. This guitar is awesome. It looks beautiful and sounds the way I love it.
Thank you all, because you are the reason for my new Tokai.
I add some pics and hope it works.
Kind regards
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/dskorpio/PICT0069.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/dskorpio/PICT0073.jpg

Right, looks great in my opinion, too! And welcome to the forum... :) Did you have to pay the difference of 5,000 Yen or not? Do those come with a case? The catalog says they should... By the way, another difference is the shorter pickguard, because this is supposed to be a copy of a newer ES version. How does the neck feel, chunky or thin?

PICT0069.jpg

By seeing the pictures is the same guitar an ES120 but with block markers.Is the rosewood board a little pale or is because the flash?

Congrats on this guitar, I will try a high end someday when I could....
I am highly GASsed by this ES models.Yestaerday I was looking at Ibanezes AS200 too but I feel ES are more leaned towards 335s than AS.

Luis, the ES155 is the one for you... :wink: And I think because of the shorter pickguard and block inlays this is meant to be a copy of Larry Carlton's ES335 which is from 1968, as far as I remember.

I know,I know Hans,but one of those Pacifix series with JM Rolphs....hummmm?! :roll: :lol: . It's curious but translating the Pacifix series specs it says 2 pieces body which is a little odd,insn't it?

I read years ago in Guitar Magazine a certain ES-320 but it was solid flamed maple top and I prefer a real 335 style (3 ply) top.....a very special model but not for myself....

For more info in 335 models check http://www.provide.net/~cfh/es335.html

Congrats with this great looking guitar. If it sounds as it looks it is a stunner. I have one question: Why did it take two months before you got it? Was it out of stock? I guess so (stupid question...) Well it sure must have been worthy the wait...

That's a gorgeous looking guitar d.skorpio, how much did it cost in Yen? I'd love to pick one up in cherry red...

Kappie, Tokai makes few ES guitars(six per month?) because the works involved,so it's not possible making high runs as the rest of guitars(bolt-on style guitars).
I withnessed Matsuyama-san making an ES himself when toured the factory 3 years ago and I got impressed with him,what a master luthier!

luis said:
I know,I know Hans,but one of those Pacifix series with JM Rolphs....hummmm?! :roll: :lol: . It's curious but translating the Pacifix series specs it says 2 pieces body which is a little odd,insn't it?
It seems that Tokai sometimes uses two pieces for high end models like e.g. the LS450 that buckwild bought some time ago. The LS290 is made of Honduras mahogany and solid plain maple top, so maybe this special series was ordered that way from the shop, perhaps to make sure that they can choose from the lightest available pieces of wood.

For more info in 335 models check http://www.provide.net/~cfh/es335.html
Right, that site is great for all vintage guitar information.

@kappie: Tokai switched their model line at the beginning of 2006 to new models and also raised the prices on the old ones a bit. That's why all Japanese shops don't have them at the moment, because they are sold out on new old stock models like the ES120.

That's a beauty. I had agonised over whether to go for the LS150 or ES120. After seeing this I'm undecided again!

Enjoy your new guitar.

Mark

Luis and Hans-J?rgen, thank you for your additions. These guitars look like pieces of art...
To Luis: Is it easy to visit the Tokai factory once you?re in Japan? If I ever will go there it will be (apart from all the guitar shops) one of my main points of interest.
I think I once read a report from you of your visit, but I can?t find it right now. Could you give the link once again? Many thanks.

Herbert

Luis, don?t bother about my question regarding the factory tour. I alreay found the link on the registry through Google. Thanks for the interesting report anyway!
Herbert

Hi,
@hans-j?rgen. They dont charge me the difference.The hardcase is included. I am not a profi in neck profiles but for me it don?t feel thin it?s more chunky.
@luis. the rosewood fingerboard looks the way you see it at the picture. Next time I change the strings I will oil it a bit. It looks dry.
@kappie. Ishibashi was completely out of stock. They ordered it by the makers. As I ordered it on 5.Dec. they told me the delivery would be end of January. And exactly on 31.January they shipped it.
@thefairway. the price for the guitar was 104.000 Yen + shipping.

Hebert,thanks for your kind words, you have to thank Peter Mac too for his helping hand for translating into english and shaping form the article.If it wasn?t for his help I doubt it was published anytime.He's is the most Tokai knowledge man I've met.

About a factory tour maybe I was very very lucky ,but I cannot tell as this is out of my knowledge. I wish making another tour someday but I don?t know if this would be possible to do again.

Gotta get me one of those, once just employed, but not finished college, 24 year old daughter has moved out and doesn't need my money anymore. :D

Back