Tokai HLS-420 Any other owners out there?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pages plexitone

Reaction score
I bought this guitar last year and could not bring it home. Any way I finally got it back from Japan and it's everything I remember. I picked it as it was the least flamed of the bunch :) From straight on it sometimes looks like a flattop. But from the side the flame is evident.

Changes:

I know Hibeki went through a lot of trouble to get the sound they were after out of the pups but man, I think they have to go. They are by far the lowest output humbucker I've ever used and that does not translate to clarity BTW. I am drawn to the SD Alnico2/Seth Lovers sound....

Other than that though man this thing sings. It has a perfect neck profile, not as big as the R6 but a bit larger than my 50s profile Gibson Lester...

It was a good score.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Beautiful guitar.

I think "a good score" is a massive understatement...if Gil Yaron built the same guitar it would be $7,000.00 and called the best Les Paul replica in the world.

Have you had it setup by a reputable guitar tech...I'd love to see his face when he first sees the guitar. :eek:

Ha, I had to go look up Gil Yaron! :) I will no doubt take it to my tech to let him drill for the pickguard mouting, I'll see what he has to say.

Yeah, it definitely feels "right". I sure wish I knew what the guys at Hibiki were thinking when they wound the pups though....

Don't forget to play around with your pickup heights and the screw pole piece heights as well.

Very high end guitar with vintage specs - really nice! I was always interested in these models. Great that someone has one to show on the forum. :)

JVsearch said:
Don't forget to play around with your pickup heights and the screw pole piece heights as well.

Very high end guitar with vintage specs - really nice! I was always interested in these models. Great that someone has one to show on the forum. :)

Roger, I'm still trying.

Jacco, I haven't opened it up yet. I'll shoot some pics when I do.

Do you have any idea what the K stands for? I am going to try a SD neck pup soon, so Ill see if it's in there.

Well I first though it had something to do with a shop order, K being the first name of the shop, but I have found them on all HLS so far (that's only 4 :D) sold at different shops.

pages plexitone said:
Do you have any idea what the K stands for? I am going to try a SD neck pup soon, so Ill see if it's in there.

If you're changing pickups try Fralin Pure PAFs...amazing.

Man I'd love to try the Fralins. But I'm a big chicken :( I went with a known quantity, and got the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates... They actually compliment the guitar very well. It's very harmonically rich. I picked up my Gibson '98 Standard with SD Alnico IIs and I have to say the Tokai smoked it. :) I'd still like to hear the Fralins though, I've heard good things about those pure PAFs!

BTW this is what I saw (taken with my cell phone)

get-attachment-1aspx-2.jpg

Back