Super Edition Info Needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ady

Reaction score
Hi,
My son has just bought a white super edition strat, standard trem with 2 humbuckers, no scratchplate. Plays great, but I know nothing about it. Can anyone fill me in? Also value too?
Thanks

I too would love to find out some information on this guitar. I picked up one in 1987 at a guitar shop in Concord, New Hampshire for $200. It looks like this one below except it is white. I have scoured the registry and numerous sites and haven't found anything, in fact this auction for one is the first I've seen of one other then mine. There is a tiny sticker on the back of the neck near the body that says "made in Japan" the other sticker is worn off and I can't determine anythink from it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=928248523

i-2.JPG

thanks for any information anyone can offer.

Hi Guys,

The guitar you have there is the SD402.
It has an alder body, maple neck with a 22 fret rosewood board and a colour-matched headstock.
The pickups are SDH Super Drive by L.White and the guitar was offered in 3 colours - Black, Polar White or Candy Red with a polyester laquer.
Other identifying features are the single volume and tone knobs and the jack placed on the side of the body instead of the face.
They cost 40,000yen in 1987 but were not exported in great numbers. These were an entry level guitar and not given to the trimmings of the higher priced models.
The one on eBay for 400pound is totally overpriced and shows that you can fleece the un-informed. I would value it at between 200 - 250pound.
(good call Barry)

Peter Mac

Thanks for the info Peter. I guess a $200 purchase has done ok for itself.
Could you tell me what guitar it is supposed to be a replica of? Is sd402 the Tokai name? Was it just a guitar that Tokai made for shits and giggles?

Also, is there a trick to the intonation? I brought it to a guitar shop and the guy said he didn't have the correct tool to do it. Was he being a tool?

thanks for the help!

Keith

Hi Keith,
For $200 i believe you got a great guitar.

The SD402 is not a replica of anything. The Strat,Tele,LesPaul,etc replicas are from the "Traditional Series"
Yours is a "Custom Edition" which was Tokai's foray into more than just being a replica Company. The Custom Edition included some amazing guitars, different woods and materials were experimented with. I would rather play an alder body guitar than poplar or basswood any day. This is MY personal preference only - not a yardstick for anyone else.
In terms of set-up,this should be same type of setup as a regular Strat. The only tool you should need is a philips-head screwdriver and a good quality chromatic tuner...maybe a small allen key also.
I have a setup for Strats that will allow you to use the wang bar up 1 tone, down 2 tones and come back in tune without any modifications.

Peter Mac

Thanx Keith,

All part of the service. This type of info is why Ned created the site.
There is still a way to go but every subscriber listing their guitar accurately helps unravel the puzzle a little more.

Peter Mac

Back