Difference between ST70s and ST60/80s

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeF

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and looking to get my first Tokai Strat. As well as the Tokai Registry's own guide on Fender copies I found S-Blues' post from this thread very helpful in identifying different models:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2823 (bottom half of the 1st page)

I noticed the ST70 isn't listed here so I was wondering what the difference is?

I'm not particularly fussy about which model I go for at the moment, this is more out of curiosity than anything.

marcusnieman said:
Could be that the ST70 was the same as the ST60 but reflected a price increase.

Could be. But my ST70 has a one piece body for some reason.
I never had an ST60 with one piece.

Interesting... I don't know much about the elusive ST70 nor what the specs are. Were they ever listed and shown in the catalogs? What year(s) were they produced?

marcusnieman said:
Interesting... I don't know much about the elusive ST70 nor what the specs are. Were they ever listed and shown in the catalogs? What year(s) were they produced?

I don't know much about them either.
Probably not more than you.

I was looking at this table:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

And saw that a 6 digit serial number can indicate an ST70, then saw this 1982 catalogue which on the top right shows an"ST70" as a new product:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume534.jpg

It was available at the same time as the ST60s. So if it cost ?70,000 it must be somewhere representative between an ST60 and ST80? I think I can just about read something like "1964 RARE MODEL" in the catalogue.

I can't read the proper detail as I can't read Japanese!

Interesting... it does look like it says 1964 rare model in the catalog... whereas the other just say 1964 model.

If someone could translate the specs and description along with the ST60 and 80, we'd have a clue.

You might find this 1984 catalogue with English translation and catalogue pages you can zoom in on.

It gives the spec for the ST70 as a 1964 model etc.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html

Dave

The st 70 had a separate maple laminated fingerboard glued to a maple neck,like some Fenders and their finish was poly unlike the the st80 which was nitro.Gabe.

marcusnieman said:
Interesting... it does look like it says 1964 rare model in the catalog... whereas the other just say 1964 model.

If someone could translate the specs and description along with the ST60 and 80, we'd have a clue.

I tried to read the catalogue but the solution is too bad,
Ny ST70 has E-pickups, one piece body and poly.

bluejeannot said:
The st 70 had a separate maple laminated fingerboard glued to a maple neck,like some Fenders and their finish was poly unlike the the st80 which was nitro.Gabe.

Poly indeed.
Also E-pickups and one piece body. Well, my ST70 has that.
Will check the neck and see if that is coherent with what you say.

Is a laminated maple fingerboard any different to a one piece maple neck other than just aesthetics? I imagine a one piece will probably be slightly more desirable because of the "mojo".

I have a Hondo II Pro copy of a Fender Lead II (allegedly made by Tokai) which has a laminated fretboard and is a wonderful neck but was made at a much lower price point than the ST range so is it a cost thing or does it really not matter?

Here is my ST70 Goldstar?
Nearly min condition with original hardcase.

P1080476.jpg

I`m sure it makes no difference sonically at all,but from a practical point of view if your maple fingerboard wears out you can just replace it.One of Jimi`s strats had the separate maple fingerboard .It`s not a budget feature.Gabe.

That's what I thought looking at the ST range. It doesn't seem to represent cost.

Koubayashi, that looks lovely. Does it have a glued on fingerboard or a skunk stripe on the back?

Ah okay - I guess I didn't know the ST70 was a 58RI, I thought the catalogue just said '64. Definitely looks laminated though. Must be a nice guitar!

Latest posts

Back