Is this a real japanese '84?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Tokai1.jpg

Tokai2.jpg

Tokai3.jpg

Tokai4.jpg

Tokai5.jpg

Tokai6.jpg

Tokai7.jpg

dalemajd said:
this is on TGP yeh?

yes. Looks too shiny and the top looks suspiciously too perfect. Nickel hardware looks too new... I guess I've been burned a couple times and am gunshy and want to make sure before trying again...

What model are they claiming it is? I have seen and own some older guitars than that one and they are in near perfect condition although that is not the norm.Looks like an LS-80 from 1984, forum member Ozeshin has one just like it and just as clean. Ask what pickups are in it.
EDIT, never mind, this guitar is in our classified section now....

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=112810#112810

Mick

yeah it's exactly the same as mine...right down to the lack of fret edge binding.

Ozeshin said:
yeah it's exactly the same as mine...right down to the lack of fret edge binding.

thanks. Looks like it has the medium tenon and not the long tenon?

leadguitar_323 said:
Tokai's medium tenon is vastly superior to the Gibson Short tenon in the LP standards.

Mick

Something looks funny though. If you look at the medium tenon, it doesn't appear to be connected to the neck. It's almost as if the instrument was re-necked and the tenon cut.

All the medium tenon Tokai's are like this, the only difference between this one and a long tenon Tokai is the lip fills the small gap in the pickup cavity on the longer tenon. There's nothing wrong with that neck join at all. The tenon is part of the the neck, do a search on "neck tenon" or "tenon" and have a look.
tenon1.jpg

The top pic is of a Gibson LP standard, the bottom pic is a Historic, the Tokai medium tenon is the same as the historic join except for the lip, which does bugger all anyway,

Mick

ummm no. Actually look at the picture:

The tenon is a separate piece from the end of the neck.

IMG_6179.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:
All the medium tenon Tokai's are like this, the only difference between this one and a long tenon Tokai is the lip fills the small gap in the pickup cavity on the longer tenon. There's nothing wrong with that neck join at all. The tenon is part of the the neck, do a search on "neck tenon" or "tenon" and have a look.
tenon1.jpg

The top pic is of a Gibson LP standard, the bottom pic is a Historic, the Tokai medium tenon is the same as the historic join except for the lip, which does bugger all anyway,

Mick

Jzucker ? the tenon is the male part of a mortise and tenon joint. So with a set neck guitar, the tenon is effectively the part of the neck that's held within the guitar body, and it's certainly not "a separate piece from the end of the neck". What you're calling a "tenon" is actually just a slightly deeper area in the body routing.

Dude, go do a bit of reading, you make it hard to explain things when you don't know what you are actually talking about.....That whole square end you can see in the cavity IS THE NECK TENON....and it is a medium tenon, the empty curved piece is where the long tenon would be if it were there...
That empty bit is all there is too a long tenon, thats why i said it doesn't make much difference if any...I'll show you a pic of my Gold Top Tokai, it has a long tenon.
1ea2_121.jpg

See how there is no gap in mine.? The long tenon is just an extended "tongue" that sticks out a bit further, thats all.

Mick

BlueThird said:
Jzucker ? the tenon is the male part of a mortise and tenon joint. So with a set neck guitar, the tenon is effectively the part of the neck that's held within the guitar body, and it's certainly not "a separate piece from the end of the neck". What you're calling a "tenon" is actually just a slightly deeper area in the body routing.

Yes, as a woodworker I know what a tenon is. The point is that I guess that '84 is just a regular "short" tenon. Normally, the point that is just routed into the body (as you point out) would be considered part of the neck and would be about the length of a medium tenon. It almost makes me wonder if either it was renecked or was originally cut for a medium tenon but necked with a short tenon. At any rate, I thought the older tokais all had long or medium tenons?

A regular les paul neck joint has no tenon. The tenon is the tongue. Without the tongue it's not even a tenon joint.

MortiseCornerStub.png

Despite the rantings from the Les Paul "experts", this is *NOT* even a tenon joint:

tenon1.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:

Dude, go do a bit of reading, you make it hard to explain things when you don't know what you are actually talking about.....That whole square end you can see in the cavity IS THE NECK TENON....and it is a medium tenon, the empty curved piece is where the long tenon would be if it were there...
That empty bit is all there is too a long tenon, thats why i said it doesn't make much difference if any...I'll show you a pic of my Gold Top Tokai, it has a long tenon.
1ea2_121.jpg

See how there is no gap in mine.? The long tenon is just an extended "tongue" that sticks out a bit further, thats all.

Mick

jzucker said:
A regular les paul neck joint has no tenon. The tenon is the tongue. Without the tongue it's not even a tenon joint.

MortiseCornerStub.png

Despite the rantings from the Les Paul "experts", the top picture is *NOT* even a tenon joint. And as an aside, the craftsmanship on that top picture is horrible. In order to have a good glue joint and for vibration to transfer the two mating surfaces should fit like a glove. Notice how the receiving side of the body is flat and the neck carve going into the body is curved? THAT IS A TERRIBLE WOOD JOINT. Hopefully that was just done for demonstration and was not actually going to be glued up that way. If so, that ain't good quality AT ALL!

tenon1.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:

1ea2_121.jpg

Mick

From what I have read and been told, there are "no" MIJ Tokais that have a short tenon. Isn't that right Mick or Oz?

Latest posts

Back