Replacement tremolo bridge for ST-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christones

Reaction score
Hey fellow Tokai lovers,

I got one of Villagers Tokai Springys (ST-80/1981), a wonderful guitar with a great feel. I swapped the E-pickups for Lindy Fralins VH, which took away all the brittle high end the E's deliver. That alone brought the guitar already to another level.

But I want ot go further... I have searched the forum for a valid hint about a steel block replacement bridge, but only few a threads came up that handled my issue.

I would love to install a Callaham Trem (steelblock and plate) but have no idea if that would be possible without drilling new holes. That would be a no go as I want to have the option to put the guitar back to stock. Also I see that some did replace the trem unit with a Wilkinson WV6B, aren't those Chinese made under licence form Wilkinson? I assume they would fit easily. But I'd love to go with Callaham.

Anyone ever did this to a Springy?

Any share of experience is much appreciated.

Thanks,
CT

christones said:
But I want ot go further...

Why? If there is something specific that you want to improve/add/remove I could understand it. Replacing pickups makes sense if you want to change the tone, but what is it that you want to achieve by replacing the trem or the block?

As far as I can tell (& I do have one or two Strats!) the Springy block is as good as any other Strat block around.

Mike

Well, especially the Callaham stuff does improve the tone in terms of sustain and overall "fullness". I know the guitar is already sweet on its own, but I like to give it a try. But the guitar should stay intact as it is now, as I said, I don't want to plug or drill holes. If anybody did that already or tried it, let me know which trem fits the given metric specs.

Thanks,
CT

PM cheshirecatsmile,he does a brigdemod on his ST100.
http://www.audiolab.ca/
I replace the pups on my ST80 with a Leosounds '62 Overwound set and
this fits the bill.Without replacing the brigde,it has sustain for days.

8)

Volker

isn't the block on the st80s already steel? maybe the callaham one is even better, but as mike says you might be splitting hairs, kind of thing. unless it's your favourite guitar and you want to make it as perfect as possible (and realise that some of the upgrades might make extremely subtle, if any, differences), it might make more sense putting the money into a new guitar (or something else).

Of course, it's up to you.

EDIT: oh, a springy? Maybe it's not steel, I'm not sure. I should read the opening post a bit better before replying... :oops:

Not sure about just the block but the entire Callaham vintage spec bridge drops straight in. A fine piece of engineering it is too. Good value as well, I bought two new ones a while ago and sold one a year later for more than I paid for it. :)

andyscott said:
Not sure about just the block but the entire Callaham vintage spec bridge drops straight in. A fine piece of engineering it is too. Good value as well, I bought two new ones a while ago and sold one a year later for more than I paid for it. :)

Hi Andy,

that's the kind of information I was looking for. I am not looking for the block only, as the Toaki trem on my Springy is one piece (with Tokai saddles, not Final Prospect).

So did you drop the trem (block incl. the plate) on a Springy and the wholes did immediatly fit? No extra drilling needed?

Did it match your expactations soundwise?

Thanks for your input.

CT

Yep, straight in, no drilling. The Callaham screws are bigger so they would likely widen/lengthen the existing holes, I used the original screws. Callaham does claim his screws sound better but I'm not buying that for one second. :)

I use Callaham because the trem arm stays put and doesn't flap around like the others do. As to whether the entire bridge assembly changes the sound of the guitar I've no idea, all I've ever noticed is it sounds different every time I play it, new bridge or not. :)

Have a look at the Wilkinson range of replacement tremolo's there is one which is vintage styled. 6 screw type, but has a universal fitting. One of the screw holes is elongated. Further to this the block is Steel

Have a look on this website at the range

www.axerus.com

I changed the tremolo on my ST-100 no problem, no re-drilling and the tone improved.

David Barfuss custom made me some '54 pickups - no harshness now

Latest posts

Back