canadian tokai love rock fake?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco123

Reaction score
There are a few experts on this forum that can confirm this is
a Tokai fake.
here are a couple of pics.
I appreciate the confirmation however it turns out.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/paco123/?action=view&current=tokai002.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/paco123/?action=view&current=tokai004.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/paco123/?action=view&current=tokai003.jpg

After much reading and searching I think I found what I was looking for.
Korean fake brought in to Canada by active music distributors.
Thank goodness the guitar shop Encore was getting rid of them 1/2 price so for my first and only electric I'm not too disappointed as I paid very little. Should have stuck to acoustics...those I know :D

Hi Paco, those pics aren't that great but the one of the back of the headstock is the giveaway, no guitars that come from Tokai have this "Make under license" transfer on the back, this is a "fake". What was the name of the shop you bought it from and was it sold second hand or new?

Mick

That's lead guitar, its good to know one way or another and I hoped
it would be you responding. The Shop was Second Encore in
Winnipeg Manitoba. It was new and on for half price because he
needed to clear them out. The guy that told me about them is a professional player here in town and talked about these lawsuit guitars,
I thought what the hell, 250 bucks can't go too wrong. Its not that bad a guitar as far as I can tell, again I'm mostly an acoustic guy that wanted to dabble a bit into electric...good story for the guitar though.

Don't look at it as fake. Call it an "unauthorized run" by the Canadian distributor. Apparently, the distributor wanted a better guitar fro his customers and Tokai was too slow in authorizing the changes, so he went ahead and had the guitars made anyway. AFAIK, it wasn't an effort to deceive the public, just a poor business decision. Overall, these "fakes" are higher specced and better quality than the comparable models that the rest of the world got.

bobb said:
Don't look at it as fake. Call it an "unauthorized run" by the Canadian distributor. Apparently, the distributor wanted a better guitar fro his customers and Tokai was too slow in authorizing the changes, so he went ahead and had the guitars made anyway. AFAIK, it wasn't an effort to deceive the public, just a poor business decision. Overall, these "fakes" are higher specced and better quality than the comparable models that the rest of the world got.
Thats not the point. The buyer got offered a Tokai. That guitar is not a Tokai!
Simple! The buyer will get right in every court.

bobb said:
Overall, these "fakes" are higher specced and better quality than the comparable models that the rest of the world got.
Ummm WRONG...you know it and I know it bobb...don't go stirring **** up over this tired old song.
The Fakai semi's are nowhere even close to Tokai specs or quality....sure they look pretty and **** but they(and a large majority of the Fakai)were built by Dillion.
So..you own a Dillion..hell...half of them even have a "D" at the start of the serials just like Dillion.
Dillion are a good guitar...but they're NOT a Tokai.

I meant to say thanks Leadguitar, not that's. That's the trouble with
getting up and 4:30 am. As far as the rest of the comments go
I do not want to waste people's time or effort bashing each other.
Though I am a newbie I have read enough to understand that this issue can get quite heated and ugly.
Out of couriousity does anyone have the specs for these or where I can find them?
Thanks again

Thats ok Paco, i understood. Bob you have it all wrong mate, these guitars are not higher spec for a start, they have maple necks. 2 This guy couldn't get his own way with Tokai so he ILLEGALLY had another company make these and then had the cheek to put Tokai on the headstock so he could trade off Tokai's name, also ILLEGAL. These guitars ARE FAKE Tokai's and are Lower spec, they may be good playing instruments but don't try and justify being sucked into buying one of these by misinforming other forum members........

Mick

Somehow I find it hard to believe that mahogany bodies with maple caps are lower spec than agathis/sycamore but whatever you say. Just give new buyers a fair shake if they get one of these.

Hi Bobb, maple necks not caps. i was referring to the fact that they have maple necks, which is not a spec for a LP, although Gibson did use maple necks during the norlin era. In your defence there are some pretty good reviews on "Harmony central", just type in Tokai Zakk wylde and have a read, this is also NOT a real Tokai.

mick

Again I appreciate the information from everyone. I do not want
to say I hate the guitar it's fine and a good friend of mine who owns
a U.S. Fender strat and a German made Hofner ,beautiful guitar, is amazed at how much guitar I got for my 250. Much better than the squire
tele he uses to give lessons...makes you wonder though...a knock off of
a knock off...makes me wonder about my Canadian made Larrivee acoustic....say it aint so. :lol:

bobb said:
Somehow I find it hard to believe that mahogany bodies with maple caps are lower spec than agathis/sycamore but whatever you say. Just give new buyers a fair shake if they get one of these.
We've NEVER attacked the innocent buyer of these guitars..only the arrogant ones who STILL seem to insist that they have an "Unoffical" Tokai.
Don't look at it as fake. Call it an "unauthorized run" by the Canadian distributor.
8)

Well the Korean Love Rocks had alder bodies & maple necks, didn't they?

Mike

- Fakai!

- bless you

stratman323 said:
Well the Korean Love Rocks had alder bodies & maple necks, didn't they?

Mike

According to Australian Guitarist, our new favourite magazine, currrent chinese line is Basswood.

the distributor wanted a better guitar fro his customers and Tokai was too slow in authorizing the changes

This is the comment you refer to Mike. The distributor in question had plenty of models to choose from, this was about profit and nothing to do with the specs of the Tokai's on offer. There are plenty of higher spec models as we all know. This bloke couldn't get the prices from Tokai that he wanted so he commissioned a cheaper factory in Korea to make guitars for him at a cheaper rate and then trade of Tokai's name. This whole process was deceitful and nothing else.

Mick

Hello - I got one of the fakes here in Nashville. The price was right at $75. Being the curious type I stripped away some of the finish under the pickups to see how it was constructed. Looks like Alder or similar type wood- 3 piece body with a quilted maple(or other figured maple-ish type wood - not photoflame though) laminate (very thin) top. The neck looks to be maple with a very dark transparent finish and a rosewood fingerboard. All in all, it is well built for a cheap/fake guitar. Also of note, the "make in Korea"ect on the back of the headstock is silkscreened and under the clearcoat, not a transfer sticker.

Thanks for the info Ampedusa. The maple necks were a feature of the Canadian "fakes" although Tokai also used them on some of their budget models from Korea. As Oze said, it still should be well made just its not a Tokai.... :wink:

Mick

Back