LS 320 fret binding

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mc Tanza

Reaction score
Hi there folks, I'm new to the forum, altough I've been lurking for a while. I've just scored a LS320. The guitar sings in a way hard to describe with words. Anyway, it came to my attention that it doesn't feature fret end binding, and I'd like to know if this is normal or even possible in a 320. I've used the search function, and have found this topic:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5669&highlight=320+fret+binding

I came to the conclusion that the 380 (and by extension I suppose also the current 470) don't always feature it. I found some references to the 320, but I'd like to be sure that's normal. The COA says my guitar is a LS320, and the fretboard sure looks and feels like brazilian, so I'm reasonably confident in that the instrument is not a fake, but I'd like to check it with you guys. Thanks!

Mc Tanza said:
The COA says my guitar is a LS320, and the fretboard sure looks and feels like brazilian, so I'm reasonably confident in that the instrument is not a fake, but I'd like to check it with you guys. Thanks!
Any detailed pics for us?

Hi, these are two close ups of the final section of the fretboard:

fboard.jpg

fboard2.jpg

And this is a shot of the full guitar:

fullbody.jpg

The pickups are Seth Lovers, and the electronics seem unadultered or changed: No extra soldering marks, burn traces or wathever, so they are probably the original pickups (as per 320 specs). The caps are Sprague. The joint of the neck and the body is long tenon.

Thanks for your help!

villager said:
I have a 2005 LS-320 without fret binding..

Now that is relaxing. Thank you. By the way, is there any way to know in wich year mine was made (using the serial number I presume)?

Great top on that one! Now I feel completely confident about mine. Thank you very much. What do you mean with your sentence about the "made in Japan" sticker?

I have (pictured below) a 2000 Tokai LS-320, with fret binding

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11279&sid=33c856f7d78b5726cbc0d5adc9234a10

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10573&sid=33c856f7d78b5726cbc0d5adc9234a10

Tokai has since discontinued fret edge binding on their high end Gibson replicas :(

LS320resting-1.jpg

As you can see they've also stopped supplying knobs with their guitars :p

knob jokes, lol, that's an old photo from when I first got the guitar but I went ahead & I asked Santa to bring me some knobs for the 320 for X-mas anyhow :D

I've actually become quite intrigued lately with my Bacchus BLS-120S 8) so, the 320 doesn't do much for me recently :(
weird thing is I got them both from the same seller; one had knobs but no fret binding :p
BLS-120S5.jpg

leadguitar_323 said:
G'day mate, the first 2 numbers on your serial number will be the year of production... :wink:

Mick

Then it's a 2005 model. Thanks man!

Villager said:
there is one on the headstock..

Sorry, I misunderstood you. The made in Japan signature is inked in the back of the headstock. Reading your sentence, I thought about an actual sticker. So all cleared now :wink: .

MIJvintage said:
I have (pictured below) a 2000 Tokai LS-320, with fret binding

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11279&sid=33c856f7d78b5726cbc0d5adc9234a10

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10573&sid=33c856f7d78b5726cbc0d5adc9234a10

Tokai has since discontinued fret edge binding on their high end Gibson replicas

Nice flame on that one. It's a shame from the point of view of the luxury of the finish. But on the other hand, it's more practical... I fear the day when I'll have to refret my Heritage H157 (LP custom with fret end binding). I don't care about the historical correctness issue...after all it's not a Gibson, so who cares.

stratman323 said:
Apparently one piece knobs became too expensive....

Official sources say that from 2009 onwards, they'll only use two piece knobs, with a veneer top :lol: .

Mc Tanza said:
Nice flame on that one.
I have seen only two other 320s with flame that I like better.

The Brazilian rosewood on this one however is actually the best example of any I have seen :) with a very interesting alternating coloration; not just all dark. Besides the nice look, it feels like silk under the fingers, and it just seems to nearly play itself.
LS-320braz1out.jpg

LS-320braz2out.jpg

Mc Tanza said:
It's a shame from the point of view of the luxury of the finish.
Not sure what you mean there.

Enjoy your 320 ..............

stratman323 said:
That Bacchus looks nice. How does the neck compare to an LS85S?

Mike, this Bacchus is everything I hoped it would be, and even more.

I really do not believe I could be happier with this particular guitar.
This BLS-120S is just another example of why, IMO, the Bacchus brand is the best overall value in a solid body electric, period.

The overall consistency in the Bacchus brand is just amazing; they are fanatics about what they produce, and I love it :D

The neck is not as thick as my BLS-120/BLS-59 but compared to a LS85S, I couldn't say for sure.

Still kicking myself for selling the BLS-120/BLS-59 :( but the neck was just to clubby & huge ..........

MIJvintage said:
Mc Tanza said:
Nice flame on that one.
I have seen only two other 320s with flame that I like better.

The Brazilian rosewood on this one however is actually the best example of any I have seen :) with a very interesting alternating coloration; not just all dark. Besides the nice look, it feels like silk under the fingers, and it just seems to nearly play itself.
LS-320braz1out.jpg

LS-320braz2out.jpg

That Braz board is definitely amazing, with such a beautiful figuring. Mine is like dark chocolate, smelly and... tasty? :lol:. Yes, it feels smooth under the fingers, almost like ebony. Great playability, for sure.

MIJvintage said:
Mc Tanza said:
It's a shame from the point of view of the luxury of the finish.

Not sure what you mean there.

Enjoy your 320 ..............

I mean that fret end binding is more elegant, more pleasing to the eye (at least for me).

Thank you, I'm having a hell of a good time playing it. It's on my lap right now. I haven't had the chance to play it extensively yet (it arrived last thursday), but every time I plug it to my amp I'm more amazed at the tone of this guitar. Enjoy yours too (and that Bacchus too :wink: ).

Latest posts

Back